OD governor speed change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: OD governor speed change

I recently swapped out the original 4.56 rear axle with a Dana44 from a 52 Commander that’s a 3.53 ratio. This makes my OD kick in late. Is their a replacement governor that kicks in faster (at a slower driven RPM) to allow the OD to engage at a speed commensurate with the slower turning transmission output shaft? (Main shaft and governor gears, or a complete governor to accomplish this?)

If you disassemble the governor, you can probably put in a lighter spring and make it engage sooner.

On the other hand, the overdrive is kicking in at the same engine RPM as it originally did.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Making it shift sooner, will make it have even LESS Power and lug the Engine.

The reason is simple, a 3.54 from a DIRECT Drive Automatic is just TOO High an Axle Ratio for the Overdrive and the Power of whatever Engine is powering it, probably Under120 HP.

Every time you get to a Bridge a little higher than an Anthill, you will have to shift to Direct Ratio.

If you switch it to a 4.10 Ratio Model 27 Dana, it will "Pull" just fine.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 10-09-2020, 02:13 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

With the 3.54 axle in overdrive you will be running the equivalent of a 2.55 ratio. I'll admit to being surprised that you want that and would suggest keeping the original cut-in rpm on the governor to give the engine a fighting chance. With the change you noted the governed speed should be 38 mph or so. I think you will need it.

Comment

Working...
        X