X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cwsimpson
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    Chuck (cw), if a very good greasing does not help, and if there is excessive Play in the Steering, you may have excessive wear on the Center Steering Pivot Pin and Bearings that the Steering Bellcrank connects to, or a loose Lock Bolt on the Bellcrank.

Usually the Upper & Lower Inner "A" Arm Bushings and Outer Upper and Lower Pins and or King Pin Bearings are also due.
    A though inspection is in order to fix what you have, and it will drive like it is supposed to.

65 years is a LONG time for the Suspension, Steering and Brakes to survive, they are all very high quality and long lasting, but there IS a limit.

There would be VERY few reusable Used Parts on a '51 Champion that would help on a '55 President.
    Thanks for the detailed suggestions. Very very helpful. Indeed time for all of that along with ditching the bias ply tires.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Good suggestion Matt, I am SO into '54 to '66's I sometimes forget about those '51/'52 & Avanti R3 Parts.

However I did remind someone here just the other Day, that you you do need the whole Package, Upper or Both Control Arms, Shafts and the Bushings to convert any '53 to '66 Rubber Bushing Car to grease-able Steel.

The Upper "A" Arm Bushings are by far the fastest wearing, getting the most Motion.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    Isn’t is possible to use the 1951 control arms with the grease-able steel bushings in a later Stude? The factory did it with the R3 Avantis, after all. I’m tentatively planning to install a set on my Wagonaire.. Never have been a fan of those rubber bushings that fall apart in a few years.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Chuck (cw), if a very good greasing does not help, and if there is excessive Play in the Steering, you may have excessive wear on the Center Steering Pivot Pin and Bearings that the Steering Bellcrank connects to, or a loose Lock Bolt on the Bellcrank.

Usually the Upper & Lower Inner "A" Arm Bushings and Outer Upper and Lower Pins and or King Pin Bearings are also due.
    A though inspection is in order to fix what you have, and it will drive like it is supposed to.

65 years is a LONG time for the Suspension, Steering and Brakes to survive, they are all very high quality and long lasting, but there IS a limit.

There would be VERY few reusable Used Parts on a '51 Champion that would help on a '55 President.

Leave a comment:

• cwsimpson
    replied
    Thanks Roy.
    You are right about the tie rod ends. Bad nomenclature on my part. I haven't seen the parts yet. I'll try to get ahold of a catalog and/or see the parts in person. I've got he wrong names for everything! Bell Crank- not "Bell Housing". Yikes, better sit down with the catalogs. I'll try to be more concise and accurate.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    The most important thing is to determine what parts on your car need to be replaced.

Studebaker does not use ball joints. Are you referring to tie rod ends? If you bring your present steering system up to factory specifications, bushings/bearings/lubrication and the like, it will steer just fine.

The tie rod ends should fit.

The bell housing has nothing to do with steering. The drag link may or may not fit depending on what body style your car is.

Looking through the factory chassis parts catalogs will answer your questions about what parts will interchange.

A more thorough description of the parts available, or photographs of the parts will be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• cwsimpson
    started a topic Steering: Steering Components For a ‘55 president

Steering Components For a ‘55 president

I have a friend who has components left over from his 51 Champion steering upgrade. Components include ball joints, bell housing , & drag link. All of these components are new or rebuilt. He upgraded to the Mustang 2 system when he put a new engine in. Does anyone know if any of these components would be interchangeable with those used in a ‘55 President sedan? He offered them to me as my car steers like a boat in rough water. I suspect that at least the ball joints might be usable? I wonder.... thx in advance for any info.
Working...
X