Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Dumb engine questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daan View Post
    Should I be concerned that there aren’t any (none, zero) springs on my hood hinges?
    Well, yes.
    They don't really make this heavy hood any easier to lift; but they do keep the alignment and tension equal on both sides.
    The set is available from our Studebaker vendors. Click image for larger version

Name:	PA161186.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1861236

Attached Files
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

And I should update my forum settings with what car I’m working on, shouldn’t I?
      Yes, you definitely should. We would all be appreciative.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I’ve got some light reading for when it’s slow this weekend at work.
        You should get the body parts catalog and the chassis parts catalog also. IMO, they are even more valuable than the shop manual.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

... I should update my forum settings with what car I’m working on, shouldn’t I?
          I wouldn't bother putting it in your permanent settings.
          Many of us have involved ourselves with more than one model over time.
          Just reference your model if and when the question is specific to it.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Before you even attempt to pull the Rear Drums..... STOP........Don't make the same mistake I did.....
            Go read the shop manual and get the proper drum puller. it's a special procedure and if done improperly WILL ruin a drum.
            You may also have LEFT hand lugs on the left side, if you don't already know.

MY 19 y.o. tail didn't know any better and busted 4 before I learned. at which point the diff had to come out and go to a machine shop.

Old school machinist was laughing at me. Then takes a torch cuts a hole in the backing plate and puts some lugs in there. grabbed the right puller and popped it off.
            then spent the next 30 minutes explaining how to do the opposite side properly. This was 1988 after I had the truck a year. it was 96 before I knew of the SDC.

AS for the engine being stuck, I once poured a gallon of diesel in the top of a carb and let it sit about a month before I pulled the plugs and slowly rolled it over to remove the stuff and then changed oil before getting it running. I've also used Acetone/diesel 50/50 mix to help break one free. In either case an oil change is done afterwards.

I would highly suggest pre-oiling the system with some fresh oil before running the engine, as it's been dry a very long time. A pump sprayer full of fresh oil plumbed to a galley plug somewhere might help, just keep your pressure below 50psi.

Think things thru, and you should be fine. When you get it turning over freely and think you're ready for a start attempt, check the wiring carefully before installing a battery. Clean the points, as they will be slightly corroded for sure. Change every rotten hose in there. Fuel, etc. I would consider a boat tank and a squeeze bulb to start with plumbed to the carb for first start, after the carb is rebuilt. keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Comment

Before you attempt to hook up a battery and turn over the engine, buy some valve cover gaskets, and check the valves first. Hit each one squarely with a dead-blow plastic, or a rawhide mallet, and check for stuck valves. If you do not, you will easily bend the pushrods, and further work will be in your future.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I went and got some MMO. I was gonna put it in, but the spark plugs are stuck tight... I also got some PB blaster and hosed the plugs down with that, because I really don’t want to break 50-year old plugs off in the heads...
                Anyway once I’m to the point of putting the MMO in, it’s eventually going to drain down into the crankcase, right? I don’t have to worry about getting it back out of the cylinders before I work on trying to start this up... Also it’s definitely not getting started until it gets warm out again next spring, so it’s for sure sitting for the next 5-6 months.
                Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

And as someone used to working on FWD stuff, I gotta say I’m digging how easy it is getting my hands on everything in the engine bay!
                  Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

The factory manuals are indispensable but they assume a basic understanding of the cars of this vintage. If you hunt around library book sales or e-Bay you can find an old Chilton's or Motor's manual. These were more oriented to the amateur and have a lot of "theory of operation" in them. For what it is worth I get them running first. If the engine is a paperweight brakes really are not the #1 concern. But there really are no "wrong" answers.

BTW you will probably want the parts books as well.

Nathan

Comment

Those hood hinges are important. I have developed the habit of pulling the hood up and toward me when I open it. I really hate those bent hood corners. Yes, I have also used 50/50 Diesel and ATF to loosen stuck motors. Spark plugs will usually come loose with several days soaking in PB blaster or equivalent and application of heat with a propane torch (not acetylene) I have a DeWalt battery powered impact wrench that has become my favorite tool--saves a lot of broken bolts and studs. I did break a spark plug off on a Champ truck-had to remove head to clean debis out of cylinder--was quite unhappy with my mechanic!

Comment

Working...
                      X