Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

63 Avanti R2 fuel pump noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti R2 fuel pump noise

It's not unuusual to hear a Avanti pump as it strokes, not a problem most of the time.

Studebaker On The Net
    http://stude.com
    Studebaker News Group
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.studebaker
    Arnold Md.
    64 Daytona HT
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Avanti R1/AC
    63 Avanti R2/4 speed
    62 Lark 2 door
    62 GT(parts car)
    60 Lark convert
    60 Hawk
    56 Power Hawk/4 speed/289
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    JDP Maryland

Comment

I get a light knock from mine, which is a Ted Harbit conversion, especially when the engine is cold and at rpm's under 2000.
      Tim K.

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Per Dave T.'s suggestion, we pulled off the fuel pump, installed a blocking plate and ran the engine to confirm that the pump was the source of noise. Comparing the pump from the car to my "old" core I had saved, may not have had the right pump on the car:

1. Pump that was on the car. Stamped CARbureTer 0-1529, and "2" on other side. Near the mounting flange to the block are stamped "4464S" and "L-6".

2. Old core, was on the car until # 1 was rebuilt & installed about 3 years ago.. Near mounting flange to block are "3508S" and "J 2-2".

Other markings the same. I understand that 3508S is the right # for an R-2 car, so sounds like that is the one to rebuild and install. Curious if anyone knows what 4464S would have gone to? Both carbs have the fuel return port and look visually identical otherwise. The 3508S has much less travel when you move the arm and sounds less "tinny" when you do so; of course it is not clean inside so may not be a relevant comparison.

Any ideas? Thanks folks...

Chris Collins
        63 Avanti R-2
        66 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
        X