Halos used on Speedsters, Golden Hawks and Packard Hawks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Halos used on Speedsters, Golden Hawks and Packard Hawks

I originally understood all of these models had bolted-on halos. Now I understand that only the Speedster is bolted on.

I have all three and want to paint the roofs, preferably without touching the headliners which are excellent.

Questions:

(1) Do the GH and PH halos just pry off? (I intend to try using some plastic pry bars)
    (2) Does the Speedster need to have the headliner removed at the back to take off the halo? Can this be done without tearing the headliner? Are the bolts just at the side or are they all around the halo?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

IMO anyone who is are going to paint the roof would want to remove the rear window. If you are removing the rear window, dropping the headliner down is easy to do, and what I would do, and what I have done in the past. If you're not going to remove the rear window, you will have to mask around the top of the rear window anyway, so why not do the same with the halo? I guess it depends on how good you expect the job be-how good the car is.

To answer your question. I believe that the headliner has to come down first, but since I have never been inclined to try I can's say for sure. By the way I have an extra one lying around if you mess up the original.

Bill

Comment

You do NOT "Pry" the Mouldings out of the Rubber Weatherstrip, you remove it opposite to how it was Installed; remove the Glass from the Body THEN remove the Moulding, then the Rubber.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        You do NOT "Pry" the Mouldings out of the Rubber Weatherstrip,...
        Rich, I believe he was referring to the halo band across the rear of the roof; not the stainless window trim.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

The OP has all three Halo Cars, I was under the impression that the GH Style Halo IS the Rear Glass Moulding, so would be IN the Rubber.

Apparently I am not correct, this looks like it IS Two Pieces, they are "Siamised".

Click image for larger version  Name:	57 Gold_WhiteA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.4 KB ID:	1860036
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

They use the large barrel nuts, like used on the cowl center molding. You cannot pry them off. You have to squeeze the nuts from the bottom side to release them.. How one would do this with the headliner installed is a mystery. You might be able to use a small hook tool, and rotate the "T" bolt/clips from the stainless, and release it that way.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Her is pictureof 56 GH roof

Comment

Rich, the “halo” takes the place of the upper rear window moulding used on all other models. It covers the rubber gasket, but doesn’t go into the rubber.

I agree with everyone else. Speedsters, Golden and Packard Hawks are all significant Studebakers that deserve to have the glass removed when doing a repaint. Once the rear glass is out, it’ll be easy to access the halo fasteners.

Trying to pry the halo off will result in ruining the fasteners. And unless you have a stash of NOS ones, they aren’t available anywhere.

Comment

Thank you all for your advice.

So, my understanding is that for all models you do have to remove at least the rear window, and peel the headliner back from the opening so that you can access any of the fasteners. Think it will go back properly, or will I need a new headliner? My speedster has the original leather headliner. (#2 of 14)

Last time, I got help from a glass installer to install the front and back windows in my 1955 Commander coupe. Stainless trim went in first. No problem for the front, but the rear corners kept coming out. So the rear window was installed without the corners at the front, and we found they slipped into place after the window was in. It looks right. Is this normal?

Comment

So - I presume any headliner held in by the back glass is going to get wrecked when accessing the underside of any halo. Yes?

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                      So - I presume any headliner held in by the back glass is going to get wrecked when accessing the underside of any halo. Yes?
                      From my experience; if the headliner material is in good condition you can get away with removing the window and CAREFULLY pulling down and reinstalling the edge of the headliner. I've done it a few times, but , not on a Studebaker. However if it's mohair forget it, it's probably going to crumble. When reinstalling, I've used contact cement to refit the headliner back into place before even looking at the glass install.

Comment

My experience is that if the headliner is in good shape that you have about a 90% chance of getting a good outcome. I'm somewhat hesitant to give the process two thumbs up, because when I did mine forty years ago, there was one spot that, try as I might, I couldn't get it to reseat perfectly. The anomaly is scarcely visible. It shows up as a small 1/8" gap. The headliner still looks great in IMHO. I have always believed that it was caused by, what was then, twenty five years of shrinkage. Of course we are now looking at sixty five year old material so....There are just too many variables that can effect the condition of the material. Were we lucky or would everyone have a good outcome-I really don't know. Check the stitching as well. I'm sure that you will factor in any potential problem when you consider the payback.

If it helps my car has won a number of awards over the years, including a national first place in 1982, and it has never lost a point because of the headliner. Please take the last statement, not as an idle boast, only to say that it can be done. Good luck!

Bill

Comment

Working...
                        X