Wipers stutter/jitter across the windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Wipers stutter/jitter across the windshield

I purchased new original style wiper arms with blades for my GT. When I use them in the rain, they don't quietly sweep across the windshield. The best way I can describe them is they stutter or jitter across the glass and it's loud and annoying! Has anyone a suggestion to fix this? Thanks!

Usually new/fresh rubber blades will fix that. They have taken a set while idle in the resting position.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Does that happen in one direction only? Stop the wiper in the middle of a swipe (turn key off) and look closely at the blades. They are supposed to follow for a squeegee effect. If the blade appears to be trying to lead, that usually can be fixed by twisting the wiper arm using two crescent wrenches to make the blade more perpendicular to the windshied. If the chatter is in both directions look for weak arm tension, some substance on the windshield, or a weak motor.
      AL SORAN RACING

Comment

My 62GT wipers have always done that, since 1985 and over 300,000 miles now. I once removed the wiper motor, disassembled and freshened it up with new grease, and it did not help. I bought an NOS wiper motor for the wife's 63GT several years ago, and it is smooth as silk. I suspect the 62GT has worn internals in the motor, but will never bother to replace it, as I have learned to live with the stuttering. Perhaps your is worse, but mine is its worst in light rain. Once the windshield is good and wet, the stuttering all but disappears.

Comment

Rain - X works for some driving conditions

Comment

Agree with the above posts. This is what physics regards as the "stick-slip" phenomenon - when the storage energy exceeds the elastic forces of the material. It's what makes a violin string vibrate on and off as the bow slides across it, the wet finger on the wine glass, etc.

Aged rubber tends to be of a higher modulus and therefore less easy to bend. If the adhesion on the glass is higher than the rubber can tolerate, it jumps off and then back again under the wiper arm spring tension - and the cycle repeats.

Both new quality rubber and lowering the friction coefficient (Rain-X) make big improvements. Increasing the wiper arm spring tension is not a good idea as it accelerates the bending of the rubber blade when parked.

Comment

Great feedback folks. The rubber as far as I know was new. I bought the arms with blades from a reputable Stude dealer. However God knows how long they were on the shelf. I have yet to find an auto parts store that sells 11 inch blades that fit a C/K car. If anyone knows someone that does I'd appreciate knowing.

Comment

Your Car gets 12 Inch Blades available at NAPA in the "Classic line" of Anco Blades.
                These will not be the Polished Stainless finish like Original, NOS or Repro of OEM, but will be Anti-Glare dull type.

On some Studes. requiring 12 Inch Curve Flex Blades, I have even been able to use 13 Inch without a crash.

Fresh Rubber from the last 5 Years may fix this, if the Angle is correct as Post #3 warns.
                It is also very important to have a very Clean windshield, Pine sap will really mess it up.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If you want to keep your original parts, the new rubber can be removed from the wiper blade and threaded into the old wiper blade. If you need two 12 inch blades, you can buy one 24 inch blade and cut the rubber in half.

The "spine" that holds the rubber blade should be parallel to the windshield. That puts the rubber at right angles to the windshield when it is not touching the glass. That allows the rubber to flip one way and flip the other way so that it is always in a trailing position as it is being dragged across the glass.

When the rubber gets hard, especially from sitting in the resting position, it no longer flips. On the upswing when it should be trailing the spine, it actually points ahead and skips/shudders across the glass. That is a sure sign the the rubber blade is hardened and at the end or its useful life.
                  Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-07-2020, 04:39 PM.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                  X