Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Cracked block. Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Cracked block. Champ

Pretty sure I have a cracked block. I thought bad casting, but I can feel it inside. And, the block has a slight bulge above the crack. Of course, this was the better looking block, better looking cylinder walls, no score marks, and couple thousandths smaller bore. This is the heavy duty block, the one I was going to rebuild from ground up. Beer time I guess... or cry... or maybe both......

Click image for larger version

Name:	120793929_3296729840410150_7974337954108226402_o.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1859943
    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Definitely a freeze crack. It can be welded successfully, but probably not rare enough to bother.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Probably time to upgrade to a V8. It's a bolt in. You'll get the same gas mileage and a ton more power.
      sals54

Comment

Even cracks that long can be stitched up via the Lock-N-Stitch method; It's just time and money. http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html

Originally posted by ChampCouple View Post
        This is the heavy duty block, the one I was going to rebuild from ground up.
        Just for the good of the order, IIRC, any Champions designated as "heavy duty" were because of the slight differences in the internal components used; valves, rotators, chrome rings. All blocks from a given year are the same, true?

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          Even cracks that long can be stitched up via the Lock-N-Stitch method; It's just time and money. http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html
          jack vines
          That's pretty fancy. I have welded many over the years with a Lincoln buzz box and nickel rod. I drill a hole at the ends of the crack, v-notch, heat with a torch, then weld. It's old school, but has worked every time.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

With the size of that freeze crack, I would worry about the rest of the block. I suggest starting with a different block/engine.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That is a V8 block out of a Champ pickup. Not a Champion six.

I have a good “core” block that I would give you. But I’m sure you can find one closer than Florida.

Comment

Looks to me like time for a LS swap.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  That is a V8 block out of a Champ pickup. Not a Champion six.

I have a good “core” block that I would give you. But I’m sure you can find one closer than Florida.
                  I have another block, but its not great, taking it in next week to get checked out and cleaned. Thanks for the offer though!

Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    With the size of that freeze crack, I would worry about the rest of the block. I suggest starting with a different block/engine.
                    Yeah, my thoughts too. Guessing ice pushes in all directions.....
                    Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

Just for the good of the order, IIRC, any Champions designated as "heavy duty" were because of the slight differences in the internal components used; valves, rotators, chrome rings. All blocks from a given year are the same, true?

jack vines
                      Interesting about the Lock-N-Stitch.

From what I can determine, HD engines had the same blocks, just some better engine components for better torque reliability.
                      Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                        Definitely a freeze crack. It can be welded successfully, but probably not rare enough to bother.
                        I have another block, not as good, but guess I will being using it instead.
                        Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

FYI...When a block freezes/cracks, it's usually the second time it freezes, that it cracks. The first time, the block will usually bulge out. When the coolant thaws and freezes again is when it will usually split...but not always...

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                            FYI...When a block freezes/cracks, it's usually the second time it freezes, that it cracks. The first time, the block will usually bulge out. When the coolant thaws and freezes again is when it will usually split...but not always...
                            Thanks for the information, I did not know that.

Mike
                            Mike and Dawn

'61 Champ

Comment

Ther is absolutely NO REASON to throw away a good block for a minor crack. I've pinned them with 100% success. It will take a couple weeks at 5 min per day . If you have never done it send me your address and I will mail you detailed instructions.

Comment

Working...
                              X