Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: What is radio?

What's this radio fit ???

When I pull this way you out my 50 champion it was obvious that it didn't go with it. Considering I was held up by bungee cords wires and straps. The speaker in no way lined up with the grill on the dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201003_125402.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1859551Click image for larger version

Name:	20201003_125607.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1859553Click image for larger version

Name:	20201003_125642.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1859552

Probably an Aftermarket Radio designed to fit some other Make. A Studebaker Radio would be a Philco.

That is not to say though, that this Radio if working or repairable, could not be properly installed in a '47 to '52 Stude. and work.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-03-2020, 12:37 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I mentioned this radio in a picture Matt posted earlier. It is an aftermarket radio made by the Automatic Radio company. It's possible that, if the so called "radio delete" plate is removed from the dash, this radio might fit.

Closer examination of the picture suggests that it might be an aftermarket radio to fit a 51-52 Chevrolet dash.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        I mentioned this radio in a picture Matt posted earlier. It is an aftermarket radio made by the Automatic Radio company. It's possible that, if the so called "radio delete" plate is removed from the dash, this radio might fit.

Closer examination of the picture suggests that it might be an aftermarket radio to fit a 51-52 Chevrolet dash.
        I take it your saying the 1 1/2" part on the lower part of the dash is removed when a factory radio is installed.

Comment

If this "Panel" is removable without cutting, then obviously that IS what it is for.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Matt N View Post

I take it your saying the 1 1/2" part on the lower part of the dash is removed when a factory radio is installed.
            Yes. If you look straight up from under the dash, there are two 1/4-20 screws that hold the panel in place. With that removed, the factory radio fits the dash. An aftermarket radio could fit there, but it seems likely that your radio is for a 51-52 Chevrolet.

Here's a picture of a stock 51-52 Chevrolet radio for comparison. Look at the styling of the dial. That downward curve on each end of the dial is unique to 51-52 Chevrolet.

Look at the placement of the dial, the knobs, and the speaker relative to each other. They are the same on your aftermarket radio and the Chevrolet radio.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1951-CHEVRO...wAAMXQoiJRg38V
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-03-2020, 03:02 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
            X