54 Champion Wagon door glass removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 54 Champion Wagon door glass removal

The drivers side door glass in my wagon is stuck inside the door. We've removed all of the weatherstripping channel and everything that we can. It appears to be stuck on the mechanism channel. I know there are clips holding it in and they are rusted solid. It also is hard to reach. Is there a trick or advice?

Must presume you do not have the Shop Manual? Reprints of the '53-'54 Shop Manual are available from many of our Studebaker vendors, and often show up on Ebay and such.
    The only "trick" I'm aware of is to have the help of someone with skinny hands and determination to remove the clips that hold the window to the lift regulator. Replacement clips are available.
    Attached Files
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

A bright flashlight (called "torch's today) will help, along with laying so that you can see "up" from the rectangle hole in the bottom of the door and down from the window channel.

I don't recall the exact details, but I had one of mine out three or four times a coupla years back trying to get the "helper" (flat wound) spring right.
      Yes, you need to release the two attachment locations from the bottom channel, to the ends of each of the two arms. Then...it's a wiggle it up, till you get it out thing..!

DO NOT drop the window after you get it loose from the arms. You may not only save from a broken window, but also from a broken finger..!

And yes, as mentioned, the manual pictures are helpful.

Mike

Comment

The body parts catalog will be a big help also.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I recently bought a 54 wagon, this is in my future as the drivers glass is cracked. Post up some pics of yours when you get a chance.

Comment

Working...
          X