Different engine sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Different engine sizes

How many different flat head 6's did they use in 53-54 c body's, and what displacement were they, Thanks.

ONE!

A Studebaker Champion "L" Head 169. 6 c.i.d. with 85 HP at 4000 RPM, 7.0 Comp. 7.5 with Automatic.

The same engine would be in a 2 Door Sedan, 4 Door Sedan, Conestoga Wagon or the Coupe and Hardtop, in Both '53 and '54.

Very much the same 1947 to 1954, and many parts dating back to the beginning of Champions in 1939.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	53 Champion Engine.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1859440

Last edited by StudeRich; 10-02-2020, 04:09 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks,my big 6 in my 49 COMMANDER has a crack and so I went looking and found a 54 coupe and a 55 president so I will try one or both to find a good 1.

Comment

Maybe I don't fully understand your question.

Are you trying to replace the 245 Cubic inch Commander six in your 1949 car/truck?

No Studebaker car 1951 and newer will have a Commander six in it.

The 245 Commander six was last used in cars in 1950. The 245 Commander six was used in SOME trucks through 1960.

The six cylinder engine in 1954 cars is the smaller Champion six of 170 cubes. It is not interchangeable with the Commander six.

The 55 President has a V-8. It is not interchangeable with the Commander six either.
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-03-2020, 09:21 AM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

JetBoat is mending the crack not an option? Just curious. Luck Doofus

Comment

Originally posted by doofus View Post
            JetBoat is mending the crack not an option? Just curious. Luck Doofus
            X2 - Where and how long is the crack? Lock'n Stitch will mend most cracks. If your engine is otherwise good, it might be better than someone else's core.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by jetboat View Post
              Thanks,my big 6 in my 49 COMMANDER has a crack and so I went looking and found a 54 coupe and a 55 president so I will try one or both to find a good 1.
              The '55 President V-8 engine will power your '49 Commander nicely, but will require re-engineering everything else under the hood as well; from steering, clutch, throttle linkages, motor and transmission mounts, exhaust and on and on. Not that that can't be done; especially given a complete donor car. Repairing your cracked block or finding a 245 L-head donor would be much simpler.

As far as the '54 170 flat head is concerned, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO; by ANY stretch. Though someone did put one in a Corvette once. But a Corvette weighs half what a '49 Commander does.
              Last edited by rockne10; 10-03-2020, 07:22 PM.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Ok thank you very much for the input, the crack is 4-5 inches long on left side between #5&6 cylinder at a 45 degree angle downward. Now I know the 54-55 won't fit easily I will be in the market for a 245 to replace, I have never been in favor of patching a cracked block, too many unknowns.

Comment

I was confused, but unfortunately that's a common occurrence. On first reading I saw C body and I thought car asin C/K. I reread the post and I now believe that you are talking about a C cab truck-correct?

Comment

You are not alone Bill! I see why you are confused AGAIN! This is what happens when the Poster does not clarify what the Vehicle IS in Post #1 and the Title.

Finally Post #3 says the Vehicle needing an Engine is a '49 Commander Car with a "245" Engine, but apparently the OP is looking to get an Engine from a '53/'54 "C" Coupe or a '55 President Car, no Truck apparently is involved! .

Of course the more knowledgeable Stude. owners have made that clear now, that it will not be a "Bolt-in".
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 10-07-2020, 01:45 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

No, I am working on a 49 COMMANDER 4 door. I found a 54 coupe and a 55 coupe both with engines so I thought I could put one of those in my 49 , but sounds like too much work, so I am looking for a 245 to replace mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X