Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing later (1963 GT Hawk) Bendix power steering on a 1953 Commander Starliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skyway
    replied
    If you have any inclination to do so,
    now would be the time to change to a late Lark Saginaw box.
    2 of the 3 bolt holes will match your existing frame holes & will allow you to use that 3rd empty bolt hole as a template to drill new holes thru the frame. The steering shaft will be short for a Lowey & need (unless you like the straight-armed “European” stance) to be lengthened.

Leave a comment:

• brngarage
    replied
    Thanks Roy and Gerald! I'll be removing everything Monday and then the fun begins. I'll post progress here in case it can help anyone else.

Leave a comment:

• doofus
    replied
    My 53 has the saginaw steering gear and everything fit. the power ram rod end may be close to rad. tank. home made adapter mounted custom 15 in steering wheel. great addition! Luck Doofus

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    The steering column is the only thing that won't fit. In 57, Studebaker went to a dished steering wheel and a shorter steering column with a smaller diameter shaft for the steering wheel.

The rest of the parts should fit, but you will have to fabricate the bell crank that will fit the 53 steering box and the 63 drag link and the mount for the power ram.

If you want to use the 63 column and wheel, then the only fabrication should be the mount for the power ram.

Leave a comment:

• Installing later (1963 GT Hawk) Bendix power steering on a 1953 Commander Starliner

Title says it all; I have a '63 GT Hawk parts car that I'm dismantling and I'd like to use the complete Bendix power steering setup on my '53 Commander. What will fit and what won't? Any fabrication required? I'm not worried at all about the P/S pump and its brackets or hoses nor the ram or the bell crank. My major concern is the pitman arm and drag link. I DO have ALL of the parts (including the complete steering column and gearbox) if anything else is required. THANKS!!
Working...
X