Replace MZ4074 starter with Modern 12 volt starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Replace MZ4074 starter with Modern 12 volt starter

Does anyone know if there is a 12 volt modern starter to replace the Autolite MZ4074 starter. Parts are so hard to find and those that are around are way outside my budget.

What year/model/engine/transmission is your car?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

A starter rebuild is usually, at most, a once in the car's lifetime event. It is not like you will be continually spending the difference in cost.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have been running my 6v positive ground starter on 12v negative ground since 2006 without a problem. Is there something wrong with your starter? Neal

Comment

My car is a 40's Champion. 4dr sedan with the flat six. The current starter was refurbished two years ago and is working fine, I do have a working core that I am in the process of rebuilding.

I want to change to 12 volts for various reasons. adding extra accessories etc. My concerns are the horror stories I read about the 6 volt starter drives and ring gears getting destroyed due to the increase starter RPM's when putting 12 volts through them.

Thanks

Wayne

Comment

I have never heard of problems due to rpm. The issues I have encountered is mixing ring gears and starter drives. If the ring gear and starter drive are not properly matched, they will eat each other up. Neal

Comment

I routinely use 12V to start old 6V +grd IH tractors that need a little extra coaxing and have never had any adverse effect . I have upgraded to an 8V battery for some of them and it has helped also .

If you were to be cranking for very long periods of time because of some other issue causing problems , this would not be good for the starter or ignition system . But everything else being normal , it causes no problem .

Comment

Working...
              X