Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

51 champion motor swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

set the headers in the motor compartment today ( yikes ) going to be tight . steering hardware takes up a lot of room.

Comment

That wire out the end of the steering box may not necessarily have been shorted out, there is a bullet fitting at about 4" the end that has just been unplugged. The wire continues up to the horn relay and is a ground wire and yes if it shorts any where along the way to the horn button the horn will sound. The horn relay has three wires on it, the ground (the wire to the horn button) power supply and one single connection to the pair of horns.

Comment

When I installed the Stude 259 engine in my 54 Champion sedan I firstly used a short block for a pattern and hung it with a chain block for a preliminary fit and prefabricated the motor mounts with 1/8" plywood, cut and fitted all the pieces with my band saw and lightly glued the pieces together. When finished and fitted the pieces were separated and cut from 1/4" metal and welded together in the same form as the plywood. Appropriate holes were drilled for a perfect fit. I got lucky with the fan and exhaust clearance. The original motor mounts for the six and the eight are the same however I chose to move the engine rearward one inch for additional fan clearance.

Comment

Thanks for the info , The horns and most everything electrical under the hood is gone ( think whoever took out the motor and trans took all) so I will have to redo most of that . Thinking about running a duel system 6V for original lights and gauges ,and a 12V system for the motor with a volt regulator for charging the 6V system all with a negative ground ( may have to switch some gauges around to negative so they read correctly ) but that is a ways down the road just fitting new drive train at this time. Fabricating new motor mounts now ( just extensions of original ) to move new motor forward enough so bell housing and block clear firewall and pan sits where it should. The ford 8 inch rear end should be ready to install soon waiting for some brake parts ,it all takes time .lol

Comment

You can use voltage reducers for the gauges, change the light bulbs and run the whole thing on 12 volts. No need for a screwy dual voltage system.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...ucer,2374.html
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

The dual system is to eliminate changing all the 6 volt light bulbs out including dash lights . Depends on how many still work if a lot are burned out then 12 volt swap will be in order.

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy53 View Post
                The dual system is to eliminate changing all the 6 volt light bulbs out including dash lights . Depends on how many still work if a lot are burned out then 12 volt swap will be in order.
                The first idea that comes to mind is not necessarily the best idea. Many good mechanics are not strong on electrical systems.

In the long run, you may find that an "unusual" system like that is way more trouble than it is worth.

Plus you will still have 6 volt headlights.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Any one that has swapped in a V8 what did you use for the rear tranny cross member ? Any specific car year or model or did you fabricate one yourself ? I'm using a Saginaw 4 spd tranny so I'm thinking a GM crossmember maybe out of a camaro or Vega prob modified to fit the Champion frame .
                  Last edited by jonesy53; 10-22-2020, 06:31 AM.

Comment

So you never called the guy I told you about who did the conversion and offered to share the details?

Comment

No I haven't do not like calling people I do not know uninvited by them personally . Not knowing when is a good time and privacy issues just good manners .

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy53 View Post
                        No I haven't do not like calling people I do not know uninvited by them personally . Not knowing when is a good time and privacy issues just good manners .
                        That's a shame. When I asked him about it he was interested and happy to explain how he had done the job. He's a really nice guy, despite the fact that he put an SBC in my business coupe.

Comment

Working...
                        X