dog house swap {front end}

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: dog house swap {front end}

First thank you for letting me join! wanting to know if a 1951 bullet nose complete front end fit on a1952 commander if so will i need to use the core support as well.

An SDC member did just this swap a few years ago and it was written up in Turning Wheels. His car was a '52 hardtop, with a '51 front clip installed. I believe that the front clip is the same regardless of which Commander body style is used. Someone will remember which TW issue it was written up in.
    --Dwight

Comment

The 51 and 52 bodies and chassis are virtually identical. Even the shop manual just has an extra section covering the few differences for 52. (mostly for the new hardtop body) I think the 51 front cap is a bolt on.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Thank you for the info!

Comment

I did it on a friend's car ('51 4 door sedan front clip onto a '52 Starliner hardtop) a few years ago. Simple bolt on and makes the '52 look like it came from the factory that way.
          Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
          '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
          '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

This swap has been done before. Stephen Allens Studebaker crew performed the swap for a chapter member a decade or so ago. it did turn out well then the member dropped off the face of the planet! Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
            X