Radio screech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Radio screech

Also, the AM radio in my 65 cruiser makes a horrible screech when turned on. The PO said it worked fine until he had a new windshield installed and that is when the problem started.

I don't know anything about radios but I have heard that if the button on the top of the antennae is missing it will squeal.

Comment

Probably just a coincidence re: windshield install; the two are not related. More likely the filter condenser in the ignition circuit has gone bad, but that's just a guess - paging RadioRoy for a better analysis!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I was staying out of it for lack of a ready answer, but...

Some clarification questions. I have heard of squeals, buzzes, hums, crackles, static, but never a screech.

Does the "screech" keep screeching, or is it just momentary when the radio is turned on?

Is it there with the engine off?

Does revving the engine cause any change in the sound?

Does it happen while turning the volume knob?

Any possibility of making an audio recording so we all can hear it?

The button on top of the antenna is to minimize static, particularly in stormy conditions when the clouds are charged up.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks Roy, I will check all those tips out and get back

Comment

Ok, The radio always makes the noise when on, engine running
            always with engine off
            no change when revving engine up
            gets louder with volume increase
            and the button is still on the ant.

I don't know why I should care about an old am radio but it just bugs me.

Comment

In my experience all Full Transistor Delco Radios I have owned, (a LOT from '62 to '66) all seem to have the same Problem after some aging.

When you turn the Volume Knob you get this scratchy, squeal Noise and at some Volume levels it will stop and others not so much, there COULD be internal components failed or failing or contributing to this condition, but I always attribute it to a dirty or failed Volume Control.
              I don't know if this is correct, but I heard that dirt/contamination shorts it between the Shaft and it's Housing/Tube in the Switch.

Whenever this is mentioned here, people usually say try spraying Contact Cleaner into the Shaft of the Control I don't know if that always works and I am not Electronically Trained like RadioRoy, so I don't know much more than that.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I would still like to hear an audio recording of it.

The best way to get contact cleaner into the volume control is to take the radio out of the car, spray the cleaner into the slots by the six connections and swipe the control across its full range several times.

Or for the least amount of effort, with the ignition off, just twist the volume control all the way both ways quickly several times and see if that has any affect.
                Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-25-2020, 03:14 PM.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I've had several of the later 62-66 radios come across the bench with a complaint of a squeal. I've found that it is usually capacitors that cause the problem. Any Studebaker radio is now 55+ years old and the electrolytic capacitors, both the filter caps and the smaller coupling caps have dried out and have little or no capacitance left in them. The only permanent fix is to replace the caps which is a job best left to someone that has experience as it is not easy to replace the caps mounted to the printed circuit board inside of the radio. Bud

Comment

I learn something on this forum all the time. I just thought the little button on the end of antenna was to keep it from going down all the way within itself and to help a person grab it to extend it.

Comment

Working...
                    X