Trying to identify a newly acquired 289 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Trying to identify a newly acquired 289 engine

I just acquired a '63 GT Hawk. It is VERY tired (body and interior and hasn't run in 30 years) so I'm gonna part it out. I just looked at the engine number today and to my surprise it starts with an R! The engine number is R4364. From what little I know about that, I'm guessing it could be an Avanti R1, Can someone confirm (or disprove) this for me. Thanks!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Yes an "R" is a R1 from an Avanti, an "RS" would have been an R2 Supercharged.
    NOT from a Lark or Hawk but an Avanti, with the Avanti peculiar Water Manifold, Pulley's and Vibration Damper.

UPDATE: After further consideration; if this Engine is IN a GT Hawk, most if not all of the above mentioned Avanti peculiar items are probably gone to fit a Hawk.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-22-2020, 08:43 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks RIch. Very interesting. The car appears to have been an automatic (shift lever and indicator are still on the column) that someone converted to a 4 speed. Probably swapped in the Avanti engine and 4 speed. I can't wait to get under it and see what's there (it does have a Hurst shifter on the 4 speed))
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Yes an "R" is a R1 from an Avanti, an "RS" would have been an R2 Supercharged.
        NOT from a Lark or Hawk but an Avanti, with the Avanti peculiar Water Manifold, Pulley's and Vibration Damper.
        It would be from a late in the 1963 model year R1 Avanti.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

R-2876 went in my 5/6/1963 Build Avanti, that's 1488 Cars apart, so yes that IS More than quite Late!

The Regular line would be shut down in Aug. but as we know Avanti year model build dates are very random.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            R-2876 went in my 5/6/1963 Build Avanti, that's 1488 Cars apart, so yes that IS More than quite Late!

The Regular line would be shut down in Aug. but as we know Avanti year model build dates are very random.
            The first Avanti considered to be a 1964 was built in August 1963.
            That engine is more than "1488 Cars apart". It is 1488 R1 engined cars apart.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Well, I'm deep into the dismantling now and I have another question. Looking at the differential, I see 44 cast into the housing, so it's a Dana 44. It has two tags on the differential cover; one has the ratio (3:31) and the other says 45L. What does the 45L indicate? Thanks Howard

Comment

you have "twin traction". The 45L is the type of the locking mechanism.
                78 Avanti RQB 2792
                64 Avanti R1 R5408
                63 Avanti R1 R4551
                63 Avanti R1 R2281
                62 GT Hawk V15949
                56 GH 6032504
                56 GH 6032588
                55 Speedster 7160047
                55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

you sure it says 45L, I have seen 45B and 45C. Maybe someone else will chime in.
                  78 Avanti RQB 2792
                  64 Avanti R1 R5408
                  63 Avanti R1 R4551
                  63 Avanti R1 R2281
                  62 GT Hawk V15949
                  56 GH 6032504
                  56 GH 6032588
                  55 Speedster 7160047
                  55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Does the axle have the traction bars brackets?

Comment

Working...
                    X