X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt N
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
    I hope you don't chop up the dashboard for that butt ugly radio.
    Haha, that's just a cheap radio I had lying around in the garage. I wanted to test things before I invested too much. I won't cut anything for the installation, I might try this one first, it has Bluetooth.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    The memory power will drain the battery if the car is not driven at least once a week. Maybe even more often since the car is 6 volts.

I hope you don't chop up the dashboard for that butt ugly radio.

Leave a comment:

• Matt N
    replied
    ​​​​Success
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200930_185936.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	1859137
    I used two inverters (one for main power, and one for memory).

Name:	20200930_192606.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1859138
    I tied the out put grounds together

Name:	20200930_192617_resized.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1859139
    I haven't installed it yet, haven't sorted it all out yet?

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt N View Post

No it doesn't switch polarity, but I believe if isolated the ground on the device (car stereo) you want to power.
    Yes, you can do that. Be sure to cut the shielding from the antenna wire somewhere near the radio.

Leave a comment:

• Matt N
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post

Good work! Are you going to try one? I wonder if it will switch polarity also. It almost looks like it will, but cannot be sure. For that price, it's worth a gamble.
    No it doesn't switch polarity, but I believe if isolated the ground on the device (car stereo) you want to power you won't need it.
    Last edited by Matt N; 09-23-2020, 08:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Skip Lackie
    replied
    I put a modern radio in my 1954 3R6 pickup (6 volt, positive ground) and used this. It converts both the voltage and the polarity, if needed. Works well. Interestingly, it is made in New Zealand.

https://www.vintageautogarage.com/6-...V-p/ce412v.htm

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt N View Post
    Good work! Are you going to try one? I wonder if it will switch polarity also. It almost looks like it will, but cannot be sure. For that price, it's worth a gamble.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Years ago, I installed an invertor/convertor in my 1953 Commander Starliner to operate a 5 Watt CB radio. I mounted it up behind the dash and it worked fine.

Leave a comment:

• Matt N
    replied
    This inverter will handle 8A

Name:	71ToQy-3kbL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1857704
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CKMG22C...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Many years ago, I put a cassette player in a '54 Champion that was my daily driver, and I built an inverter that used a 1:1 turns ratio transformer, and a pair of power transistors. Basically, it stacked the input 6 volts with the output 6 volts, and put out 12 volts, positive ground. I simply isolated the cassette player from the body. Best of all, the inverter only ran if it saw a load. Quiescent, its draw was trivial. It worked just fine.

But I don't remember how it was wired. I do remember I just sort of fluked into it.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Your car is supposed to be six volt, POSITIVE ground. That's the way the factory built it.

There is only one GOOD 6 to 12 volt converter available, and that one is only available to Aurora dealers.

https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-de...eet%201.2b.pdf

The little silver cube converter has very limited power, but can be installed by amateur mechanics.

There is one on eBay that looks good at first glance, but it will not reverse polarity.

Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-22-2020, 01:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Matt N
    started a topic Electrical: Radio: conversion to 12v

Radio: conversion to 12v

Did a search but couldn't find much. Has anyone used a step up converter to use a modern radio on there 6v neg ground?
Working...
X