Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

62 GT Hawk Air Cleaner Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 62 GT Hawk Air Cleaner Replacement

I'd like to replace the original oil bath air filter on my 62 Gran Tourismo , 289 with a Carter carb. I need to find one with a 4 and 3/8 neck and most everything I find are 5 1/8. Has anyone replaced theirs and where did you find one. I can make an adapter on my lathe, but wold rather find one.

48sanderson - welcome to the Forum! I've moved your post moved to the correct channel and retitled it for more eyeballs.

Speedway Motors has a nice cast-aluminum adapter ring you might find useful. It's a nice piece; I have a similar one on my car to get a modern filter to fit my WCFB.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1857658

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

That'll be Great, once you get the 4 1/8" to 5 1/8" Adapter available from Most Parts Stores, then you can buy one of their Aftermarket Chrome Air Cleaners like the Edelbrock, that blow all the Dirt, Water, Oil and whatever directly INTO your Element!

Whatever happened to the GOOD Air cleaners like the Old Moroso Type, that draw the Air from the Bottom, NOT the Sides?

The 1562826 or Repros of '63/'64 Studebaker Avanti/Lark/Hawk R1 Air Cleaners are the Only ones I would use, but I THINK they have become NLA recently.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Slightly off topic, but I have several Fram air filters for Avanti R4 dual quad applications. PM if interested.
        Bill

Comment

I replaced the original air cleaner (4 barrel Carter) with an aftermarket and added a "plastic" adapter from "Mr. Gasket." I did need to use super glue to attach the gasket to the air cleaner, We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by "Sparky" View Post
            I replaced the original air cleaner (4 barrel Carter) with an aftermarket and added a "plastic" adapter from "Mr. Gasket." I did need to use super glue to attach the gasket to the air cleaner, We'll see.
            I had one of those - several, actually - prior to seeking out the aluminum adapter. The Mr. Gasket pieces are made of very thin thermoplastic and will deform and crack like crazy after only a few miles, especially with the heat our Stude engines generate.
            Attached are photos of the aluminum adapter, as well as the last Mr. Gasket ring I threw away

Name:	IMG_4920.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1858062

Name:	IMG_4911.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	1858063

Name:	IMG_4902.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1858064

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Jeez, are Studebakers the ONLY thing out there that was actually built to LAST? .. ..
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
              X