Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn signal suddenly became 4 way flashers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jostanton1
    replied
    After replacing the LEDs with conventional bulbs, I noticed that the front left and right rear were wired backwards. You can't really see the brightness difference when using LEDs. After correcting the wiring, everything works properly! Just for the heck of it, I tried putting the LEDs back in. Horray! The system still works properly. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Leave a comment:

• 55coupe
    replied
    I put LEDs in the stop lights on my 63 champ thinking it would be much brighter. Then I noticed that every time I stepped on the brakes the indicator light on the steering column would light up, its a automatic. After cleaning up tail light housing checking grounds and replacing turn signal and brake light switches all I had to do was get rid of those LEDs.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Cough on them, and send them back to China!

Leave a comment:

• jostanton1
    replied
    I am using LEDs. Up until now, I have not had any problems. Also, when you turn on the headlights, one of the dash signal indicators lights up too! I am going to swap out the LEDs with incandescants tomorrow and see if that changes anything.

Leave a comment:

• 55coupe
    replied
    I had a similar issue with the 55 turned out to be wires running from turn signal switch inside the steering column most of the insulation had fallen off. good luck

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Being that the: Headlights, Parking Lights, Tail Lights, License Light and Instrument Lights are on a Completely Different Circuit, that IS weird!

The ONLY place they can interface (cross to Stop/Turn) is those Parking and Tail Light Sockets, Wires and Bulbs! Since you fixed the Front.

Maybe Now the trouble is in the Rear, (just like the Pain!). Hmmm, so turning ON the Lights takes their Ground?

OR, if the Bright Filaments Light constantly, instead of quitting or Flashing, they are getting Constant Power from the Lights. somehow.

Define "Stop Working" Please.
    Are you using Standard Incandescent GE, Silvania etc. 1157 Bulbs?

I have seen poor quality Foreign made Bulbs with wider contact "Nubs" and or incorrectly oriented locating Pins that will cause weird problems, usually LED's.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-22-2020, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jostanton1
    replied
    Update: I replaced the rusty sockets in the front end. Now all the turn signals and brake lights work correctly. However, now they stop working when I turn on the headlights or park lights! This car has a mind of it's own. I opened up the entire wiring harness and traced each individual wire's path and everything is correct. I am lost!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by jostanton1 View Post
    StudeRich, I have but everything has been working fine for over a year. Do you think it is a poor grounding issue?
    I think it may be, after you did that good Test, you ruled out a lot of "Power" issues.
    You know Body Parts get a pretty good "Shake" sometimes if you put any amount of Miles on it, especially with any Drum/Wheel/Tire out of Balance issues.

Try what I told the guy with the Dash Indicator problems, connect a Jumper wire from a Bulb Socket to a Bumper or Bracket and see what it does.

Leave a comment:

• jostanton1
    replied
    StudeRich, I have but everything has been working fine for over a year. Do you think it is a poor grounding issue?

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Have you had the Parking Light and Tail Light Housings OUT of the Body and Painted under them?

Leave a comment:

• jostanton1
    replied
    The switch was taken out of the circuit. I put power directly to each wire going to front left, front right, rear left and rear right lights. Each time, all four lights came on simultaneously.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    I don't see how this could happen suddenly, all by itself!

About the only possibility, is the Turn Signal Switch contacts are connecting the Flashing Power from the Flasher Unit to to ALL 4 Circuits!

I think your Testing proved it's all in that Switch.

Leave a comment:

• Turn signal suddenly became 4 way flashers!

On my 64 GT, the turn signals switched either left or right position are blinking on all four lights. Front/rear, left/right at the same time. I unplugged the turn signal switch and jumped 12 volts to each circuit individually. If I jump just left front/telltale light wire, all lights come on. If I jump right front/telltale light wire all four come on. Same thing if do the rears. I am stumped. Also when I apply the brake pedal, front and rear signal lights all come on.
Working...
X