Vented Gas Cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Vented Gas Cap?

Should my '48 Commander have a vented gas cap? The tank "whooshes" when I take the SI replacement cap off, and I'm getting leaks at the fuel pump fittings after driving a few miles, strong gas smell in the garage. Should I drill a small vent hole in the cap, as some have suggested?

Yes, or return it and get the CORRECT Vented Cap. Did you Order a 523821?

You do have to know that the Engineers that designed these, were a bit smarter than to drill a direct hole straight into the Cap.
    Vented Caps are designed to allow Air to flow Under the outer portion that you turn, through a wave Washer Plate and into the Center of the Filler Pipe, so as to not be exposed to even the smallest amount of Moisture and Dirt.

The Original ones had no "one way" Valve to allow Air Out but not in, or whatever the "New" emission system ones do.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 09-21-2020, 04:20 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The gas cap is supposed to be vented.

Instead of drilling a hole, look at the business end of the gas cap. Sometimes a seal can be removed with a pair of pliers and that turns the cap into the vented version.

Or, you could just buy the correct cap.

Years ago at an orphan car meet, the guys were standing around discussing the same problem and they were suggesting the most ridiculous "solutions" one of which was to drill a hole in the filler pipe. I controlled myself as well as I could and asked to see the gas cap. While the discussion got even more outlandish, I popped off the inner seal with a pliers and handed the cap back to the owner. Problem solved.

Usually, you do not have to modify, just get the correct part in the first place.

If you have to modify, always modify the cheap removable part. Never modify the expensive attached part.

And remember that the first idea that comes to mind is not necessarily the best idea. Ruminate on it for a while and see what other/better/simpler ideas come up. Often I do not even start a project until it is at least revision five in my mind. But my mind is weird.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-21-2020, 07:57 PM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Rich makes a valid point.
        Forums are great, but the info put on them stays on them.
        Telling someone to drill holes in a gasoline tank system could be a litigious item.
        So would a suggestion to take an Exacto knife and put a groove in the rubber gasket and put that at the 12 o'clock high position.
        Just get the proper cap.
        Think I'm kidding about a lawsuit from a gas cap with a hole in it?

https://casetext.com/case/stambaugh-...l-harvester-co

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Yes, or return it and get the CORRECT Vented Cap. Did you Order a 523821?

You do have to know that the Engineers that designed these, were a bit smarter than to drill a direct hole straight into the Cap.
        Vented Caps are designed to allow Air to flow Under the outer portion that you turn, through a wave Washer Plate and into the Center of the Filler Pipe, so as to not be exposed to even the smallest amount of Moisture and Dirt.

The Original ones had no "one way" Valve to allow Air Out but not in, or whatever the "New" emission system ones do.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Wow, that is an interesting Case!
          If you have about a week to read and analyze that Legal Speak that concerns previous Cases as much as the current one,
          it looks like the Defendant's Appeals MAY have resulted in a Lot less than the original award of $22 Million, 500 Thousand.

Yep, a VENT Hole !
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X