Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks all, you guys are great! I'll try and check for the tag tommorrow

Comment

Typically the second line of the body tag that everyone is mentioning will tell you the trim level and model. First line(top line) is the body number second line is the body type as in C then the number 1 or 3 or 5. 1= custom, 3= deluxe and 5= regal deluxe. So we know yours because of the map light is a 3 or. 5. Let us know what you find.

Mark

Comment

Here's the body tag on the firewall, from what jclary said, I'm not sure how to decipher it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200921_120658_resized.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	1857473

Comment

9G = 1950 Champion
          F = two door sedan
          3 = deluxe trim
          5703 = 5,703rd deluxe two door sedan body welded up
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            9G = 1950 Champion
            F = two door sedan
            3 = deluxe trim
            5703 = 5,703rd deluxe two door sedan body welded up
            What does body welded up mean?

Comment

The bodies were fabricated independently with each one getting their body number. Later they were mated to the chassis.
              DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
              1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

That is the 5703rd F3 body built/created/made/assembled/fabricated.

The bodies were not always made into cars in the same order that the bodies were made. When the bodies were made, they were painted and upholstered. The "3" being the deluxe model determined the upholstery material and level of fanciness of the interior hardware. That body would wait in the warehouse until a deluxe two door painted that color was assembled.
                Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-21-2020, 12:09 PM.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

This is one of my favorite pix. Not sure what year these are...

Comment

Originally posted by Brianbo View Post
                    This is one of my favorite pix. Not sure what year these are...
                    Can you expand/lighten the picture?

If the windshield and back glass has a stainless steel divider, the bodies are 47-50. If the windshield and back glass are one piece, the bodies are 51-52.

There were a lot of promotional pictures taken in 1952 for the Studebaker centennial, so maybe this is one of them?

There were also a lot of promotional pictures taken in 1947 for the LIFE magazine article with the woody. Maybe this is one of them?

Comment

I lightened it a bit. Looks like two piece to me, but not sure. Also including another production pic, not sure of year here either🙂
                      Attached Files

Comment

The middle picture looks like 47-49 (split windows) and the right picture is 52 (tail lights and one piece glass).

Comment

I wonder HOW we got from a Dome Light Lens to Factory Body Assembly Lines?

I think Post #22 covers the Body Install thing pretty well.
                          The Final Line Numbered the CARS, the Body line Numbered the BODIES, within EACH Body Type and Trim level, and there was NO sequence of what Body went to what Chassis/Engine combo that became the CAR and the CAR Serial Number on the Door Post and Frame.

In spite of all that, I think it actually was VERY well organized, and makes Sense, but GM owners with Newer, "Matching Numbers" Cars don't Get it!
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 10-01-2020, 02:17 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                          X