289 crank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 289 crank.

can we get crank bearings for the 289 crank if it is turned more than .0010 turned. thank you Raymond.
    rawise

I am assuming you mean .010 (ten thousandths). Last I checked, .010, .020 and .030 were readily available. I do not know if .001 or .002 bearings are available any more.
    78 Avanti RQB 2792
    64 Avanti R1 R5408
    63 Avanti R1 R4551
    63 Avanti R1 R2281
    62 GT Hawk V15949
    56 GH 6032504
    56 GH 6032588
    55 Speedster 7160047
    55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

yes ...sorry I ment 10 thousandths..i put one too many zero in.. thank you for that 64 studeavanti.
      Last edited by wise raymond; 09-19-2020, 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling
      rawise

Comment

Yes, bearings are also available in .020" and .030" undersize.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

turn / true the crank... measure.....obtain the correct size bearings....

Comment

Originally posted by wise raymond View Post
            can we get crank bearings for the 289 crank if it is turned more than .0010 turned. thank you Raymond.
            Bearings are avalable from +.001 to +.060. Although, from experience, you probably don't want to go more then +.040. Bad things start to happen after that.

Bo

Comment

I'd have the crank magnafluxed ( wet fluorescent method) looking for "indications" in the rod journal radius and main journal radius areas.
              https://www.enginebuildermag.com/wp-..._magnaflux.jpg

A few years back there was a flurry of broken V8 crank posts here. I don't recall there were ever pictures that really clarified the condition of the bearing journal fillet radiuses on the cranks that "broke" ( progressive fatigue cracking) .

Two score years ago Some crank grinders (human) could not be bothered putting a decent radius on the edges of the grinding wheel.
              I think the quality of the journal fillet radiuses has a bigger effect on crank durability ( fatigue cracking) than the undersize. I suspect .010" U/S with corners is much more crack prone that 0.04" U/S with gorgeous fillet radiuses.

Some OEMs didn't do such a hot job on brand new cranks. Small and maybe even Big Block Chevies had ugly steps and corners on the main journals.
              I think there may be some post here that the NOS Studebaker cranks are often inferior to the original cranks in that regard,

Once a journal has been ground with a too small radius, clean-up regrinding (additional .01" or .02" undersize) can't improve the situation much.
              If I was in that position, with a crank that magged good but with nasty crank radiuses/fillets I would clamp a strip of steel stove pipe to the journal to protect it. And use a small carbide cutter in a moto-tool etc and undercut the journal l fillet to form a decent radius. Radiusing the lower 90° in the bearing "overlap" area would probably be sufficient on a crank that Magnafluxed clean the week before.
              http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/279771.jpg

https://drillsandcutters.com/sc42-1-...yABEgIm3vD_BwE

Comment

Thank you for the information..it is greatly appreciated.wise Raymond
                rawise

Comment

Are you saying don't have it turn More than say .020 or 30.under....i wanted to go drag racing with it
                  rawise

Comment

Also are all 289 full flow cranks..the same? Can a super charger be added.
                    rawise

Comment

Originally posted by wise raymond View Post
                      Also are all 289 full flow cranks..the same? Can a super charger be added.
                      All long nose 289 cranks are the same.
                      78 Avanti RQB 2792
                      64 Avanti R1 R5408
                      63 Avanti R1 R4551
                      63 Avanti R1 R2281
                      62 GT Hawk V15949
                      56 GH 6032504
                      56 GH 6032588
                      55 Speedster 7160047
                      55 Speedster 7165279

Comment

Thank you 64studeavanti