Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeRich
    replied
    To make this change worth your time and money I would want the best possible replacement parts if I were doing it:

Commander or V8 '54 to '66 Drum Brakes are better than Champion (6 Cyl.) 11 Inch Front, 10 Inch Rear, vs 10 Inch Front, 9 Inch Rear.

289 c.i.d. Engine equipped Cars have better Drums, Finned rather than 259 Cars with Smooth.

1963 to '66 Studes. use Auto Adjusting Parts on basically the same as earlier brakes, your choice if you want or don't want those.

Sorry this is a bit late, typed at 2:35 PM and not finished and posted til now, Life happened!

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Excellent. Be sure to do all the right things, like repacking the front wheel and rear axle bearings, installing new wheel cylinders and such.

You will notice a significant improvement in stopping power and enjoy the confidence that goes with it.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    replied
    Thanks! What I’m buying has the finned drums also.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    In a word, YES! I have done it myself and it is a quite simple bolt-on procedure.

Be sure to use the brakes from a V-8 car. If you can find finned drums, so much the better.

Leave a comment:

• tim333
    started a topic Brakes: 51 or 53 Commander brake upgrade

51 or 53 Commander brake upgrade

To be sure, will the complete brake system from a 1956 model be a direct bolt on to my 51 Landcruiser or 53 Starliner? Backing plates with everything mounted and the drums.
Working...
X