51 or 53 Commander brake upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 51 or 53 Commander brake upgrade

To be sure, will the complete brake system from a 1956 model be a direct bolt on to my 51 Landcruiser or 53 Starliner? Backing plates with everything mounted and the drums.

In a word, YES! I have done it myself and it is a quite simple bolt-on procedure.

Be sure to use the brakes from a V-8 car. If you can find finned drums, so much the better.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks! What I’m buying has the finned drums also.
      Attached Files

Comment

Excellent. Be sure to do all the right things, like repacking the front wheel and rear axle bearings, installing new wheel cylinders and such.

You will notice a significant improvement in stopping power and enjoy the confidence that goes with it.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

To make this change worth your time and money I would want the best possible replacement parts if I were doing it:

Commander or V8 '54 to '66 Drum Brakes are better than Champion (6 Cyl.) 11 Inch Front, 10 Inch Rear, vs 10 Inch Front, 9 Inch Rear.

289 c.i.d. Engine equipped Cars have better Drums, Finned rather than 259 Cars with Smooth.

1963 to '66 Studes. use Auto Adjusting Parts on basically the same as earlier brakes, your choice if you want or don't want those.

Sorry this is a bit late, typed at 2:35 PM and not finished and posted til now, Life happened!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
          X