mounting front speakers in a Hawk - my solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: mounting front speakers in a Hawk - my solution

Click image for larger version  Name:	IM001365.JPG Views:	0 Size:	155.0 KB ID:	1856753Click image for larger version  Name:	IM001366.JPG Views:	0 Size:	74.0 KB ID:	1856754Click image for larger version  Name:	IM001369.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.9 KB ID:	1856755Click image for larger version  Name:	IM001370.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.6 KB ID:	1856756 I need my 50-60s music so I added a small cheap radio with the modern entertainment options in the

Golden Hawk. Two small bolts Click image for larger version  Name:	IM001363.JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.0 KB ID:	1856751Click image for larger version  Name:	IM001364.JPG Views:	0 Size:	143.4 KB ID:	1856752in the radio's bracket and then slip it into place. About $20 shipped on Ebay.
    After looking at many options for front speakers and not wanting to alter the interior I settled for the following after seeing a similar setup on the web. I had a set of 4" speakers and mounted them in 4" schedule 40 PVC pipe caps. I used a 4" bolt to mount them in holes that were already present in the dash frame. I did have to drill through an attached bracket on the drivers side. They work great and there will be no indication that the car had these items added other than two small holes in the bottom of the dash fiberglass.
    Boy do things get screwed up when adding pictures. I am sure you will be able to determine the sequence

That is a great idea! It doesn’t look too bad either. How does it sound?
    1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
    1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
    1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

What speakers are these?
      1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
      1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
      1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
      1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

I think they sound great being enclosed now of course 4" speakers will not produce much bass. I had tried larger speakers under the seats but could not even hear them. These are Polk brand speakers.
        Black grills would make them less obvious but I don't mind the way these look. The nice thing about the radio is it is small and very light so it was easy
        to mount. It will accept the stereo plug, USB and a card.

Comment

Are they back far enough that you don't tear up your legs on them?

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
            Are they back far enough that you don't tear up your legs on them?
            No problem

Comment

They do not bother my legs.

Comment

Cool idea. You can get a little more bass by sealing the edge of the speaker where it meets the PVC pipe caps. The idea is that you hear only the sound that comes from the front of the speaker and none that comes from the rear of the speaker. The sound from the rear is out of phase from the front and cancels out the bass.

You can also put a 6 x 9 speaker in the package tray/shelf behind the back seat and that will increase the bass.

What brand is the radio?

For others thinking about this, these speaker enclosures work also and it may be possible to put at least one under the dash.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stinger...QAAOSwdPBbsi4w
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I do have a single stereo type of speaker in the package shelf which does provide some bass. I will try sealing the fronts. Would foam rubber work for sealing them?
                  The radio was a cheapy but the smaller size made it able to fit in the glove box easily. Obviously it did not get in the glove box. It is so light there is no problem mounting it where I did.
                  I am posting the link but they may not be available from that seller however I did see other
                  identical listings on Ebay just a bit more expensive. Just scrolI to the bottom of the link. It also has a remote.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stero-F...53.m1438.l2649
                  Last edited by 5brown1; 09-17-2020, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Nice!

I integrated them in the side kick panels
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-10 18.25.15.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	1856893

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
                      I do have a single stereo type of speaker in the package shelf which does provide some bass. I will try sealing the fronts. Would foam rubber work for sealing them?
                      Foam rubber might work if it is dense enough and you can keep it from moving out of place. Otherwise, cardboard shaped like orange slices and RTV would work. Seal the edges of the speaker to the edge of the plastic cap, along the straight sides of the speaker. You won't get much bass from 4" speakers, but any improvement is worth the effort.

It's hard to imagine something as inexpensive as that radio sounding good, but the specifications look good. I may buy one just to check it out.

Is your rear speaker a single cone with dual windings? 6 x 9 is better than 5 x 7.

If it is one of those two tiny speakers side by side, ditch that. They are terrible.
                      Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-17-2020, 01:17 PM.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                        Nice!

I integrated them in the side kick panels
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	2014-06-10 18.25.15.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.6 KB ID:	1856893
                        Cool idea. I did that on my 62 Chevy way back in 1968. Now there are companies making kick panels with speakers in them.

Comment

Originally posted by 1inxs View Post
                          What speakers are these?
                          https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB6...io-DB-652.html

They look like Polk 4" 2-ways.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-BVJ3FB...dio-db401.html

Link to the 401
                          Last edited by SScopelli; 09-18-2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I believe they are Polk 401 I don't remember the letter designation

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post

Foam rubber might work if it is dense enough and you can keep it from moving out of place. Otherwise, cardboard shaped like orange slices and RTV would work. Seal the edges of the speaker to the edge of the plastic cap, along the straight sides of the speaker. You won't get much bass from 4" speakers, but any improvement is worth the effort.

It's hard to imagine something as inexpensive as that radio sounding good, but the specifications look good. I may buy one just to check it out.

Is your rear speaker a single cone with dual windings? 6 x 9 is better than 5 x 7.

If it is one of those two tiny speakers side by side, ditch that. They are terrible.
                              Roy,
                              Thanks for the information. I just installed a 5 x7 to 6x9 adapter and a 6 x 9 Dual Voice Coil speaker getting rid of the two speaker one. What a difference! Lots of great bass now.
                              Neil Diamonds "Coming to America" drums are great. I also had sealed the 4" speakers as you suggested.

Comment

Working...
                              X