No announcement yet.

mounting front speakers in a Hawk - my solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Steve, I have been campaigning against those speakers with just two tiny speakers in one assembly. Dual cone larger speakers work much better, as you have heard. Inside the car is not fussy what direction the bass comes from either.

Just for fun, I bought one of those ~$30 radios like you installed. Running it in the shop on some fairly nice home stereo speakers allowed me to evaluate the sound.

To my ear, it was pretty flat. Lots of volume, but no bass and no treble. Certainly not compared to the radios I usually build, although at nearly twenty times the price, it was an unfair comparison.

Maybe if I could have found a tone control or an equalizer function that might have made a difference. But I didn't have the time or inclination to dig into it further, especially with the non informative "non instructions" that came with it.

Anyway, glad you improved your sound system.

Any chance of providing a link to the 5x7 to 6x9 adapter you bought, please?
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-04-2020, 07:27 AM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I’ve been using Polk 4”x10” speakers in my Hawk for decades now and they fit without having to use adapters and sound fantastic.

Comment

Roy, here is the link to the adaptors. They seem to be well made. The radio does allow selection of Pop, Rock and others but you are right the directions are nonexistent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6x9-to-5x7-...EAAOSwxAhaxVE3

Comment

Thanks Steve. Those are the type I have used in the past. Great for putting a 6 x 9 in the rear deck of a car that has a 5 x 7 hole.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoHawk View Post
            I’ve been using Polk 4”x10” speakers in my Hawk for decades now and they fit without having to use adapters and sound fantastic.
            Where and how are they mounted? I have never tried Polk speakers. Are they pretty good?

Comment

They’re mounted in the rear deck, and fit perfectly in that small space.
              Honestly, I will have to look how they’re mounted since I did it 25+ years ago.
              I’ve had Polk speakers in many of my cars and they sound fantastic. I do remember one of the reasons buying them was because they have phenolic speaker cones so the heat and sunlight on the rear deck doesn’t degrade them as bad as paper ones would have.

Comment

Working...
              X