Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

64 Power Auto Transmission Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: 64 Power Auto Transmission Leak

All,

My 64 Hawks has a Power Auto and it is leaking. I had it rebuilt and it’s still leaks.

It seems that the fluid is escaping from the air vent. Is there supposed to be some sort of gasket or valve inside by the air vent we could be missing?

Any pointers I can send along that we have missed?
    1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
    1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
    2003 Ferrari 575 Maranello (3 Pedal)
    2007 Jaguar XK Convertible
    2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

It is a "Pop-it" Valve but being on Top, I don't see how there would be enough pressure to force Oil up there, but it DOES happen, another member posted that his was plugged and had to be cleaned, and it was the cause of Oil leaking.

I guess you mean you have a "Power Shift", floor shifted Borg Warner Automatic.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      It is a "Pop-it" Valve but being on Top, I don't see how there would be enough pressure to force Oil up there, but it DOES happen, another member posted that his was plugged and had to be cleaned, and it was the cause of Oil leaking.

I guess you mean you have a "Power Shift", floor shifted Borg Warner Automatic.
      My car has the 4 speed automatic. I believe they call the the Power Shift (vs the Flightomatic but I am not sure of the difference).

The car seems to be leaking transmission fluid (there is also some oil but I think that's elsewhere).

Do you happen to have a picture or part reference for that top (even a page number in the 59-64 shop manual).

I'm so out of my depth here anything can help :-)

Thanks!
      1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
      1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
      2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

DSD;
        Studebaker Service Letter # U-1966-2 dated Dec 6,1965 addresses the problem of loss of AT fluid through the Vent of V8 models. It is due to excessive wear of the front case bushing, front hub cover and the stator bushing.
        Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Strasser View Post
          DSD;
          Studebaker Service Letter # U-1966-2 dated Dec 6,1965 addresses the problem of loss of AT fluid through the Vent of V8 models. It is due to excessive wear of the front case bushing, front hub cover and the stator bushing.
          Ron
          Do you have a copy of that Service Letter or know where I can get one? Are those wear parts internal to the Transmission (not a trans guy)? Thanks!
          1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
          1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
          2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

Studebaker International sells the Book of Technical Service Bulletins!
            1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
            1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364

Comment

Originally posted by 1inxs View Post
              Studebaker International sells the Book of Technical Service Bulletins!
              Is this it?
              http://www.studebakermuseum.org/stor...-To-59-64-Shop
              1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
              1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
              2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

DSD;
                Yes the parts are internal to the Transmission. To replace; the transmission would have to be removed. The Service Bulletin is not much he[p as it only has a few pictures and part numbers of the wear parts. No info as to how to take the transmission apart. For that you would need the Hawk Service manual.
                Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Strasser View Post
                  DSD;
                  Yes the parts are internal to the Transmission. To replace; the transmission would have to be removed. The Service Bulletin is not much he[p as it only has a few pictures and part numbers of the wear parts. No info as to how to take the transmission apart. For that you would need the Hawk Service manual.
                  Ron
                  Thanks. Since I’ve already paid for a full rebuild, I think the costs are mostly squared away (I have a warranty on the trans). I just want to show the shop the bulletin and be like look at this.

Im happy to buy the service letter book (is it the one above) but if we have anything electronic for expediency that would be amazing (pic/scan/etc).

Thanks!
                  1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
                  1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
                  2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

DSD,
                    Sorry, I tried to edit before you caught my post. You can get the book from Meyers Studebaker as well as Studebaker International. I don't know if it's on their website. You just need to call them to get order.
                    1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
                    1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364

Comment

DSD;
                      I do not believe that is what you are looking for. At one time I thought someone produced a CD with the Service Bulletins. Over the years I have purchased many but no where all that were ever printed.
                      I have scanned the original Bulletin and have included it
                      Ron
                      Attached Files

Comment

THANK YOU!!!!!

I appreciate all comments. This is great info. I will provide this to my trans shop and perhaps they overlooked something.

Again, Much appreciated!
                        dsd
                        1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
                        1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
                        2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

I am SURE that they Did. This is not normal after a "GOOD" and through Rebuild by a Borg Warner familiar Technician.
                          StudeRich

Comment

Do you know what BW transmission this is?
                            1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
                            1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
                            2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

Are your Shop Manual, Chassis Parts and Body Parts Catalogs (CD or Book) still in the Mail?

Because if you have the '59-'64 Chassis Parts Catalog, it calls out the Different BW Model Numbers. But knowledgeable Trans. Shops know the Flight-O-Matic as the Three Speed, Medium Case, Cast Iron Borg Warner 2 Band, very similar to AMC Rambler Flash-O-Matic and somewhat similar to Early Merc-O-Matic, Ford-O-Matic, .

The Power Shift: P R N D 1 2 Shift pattern would be closest to a Cruise-O-Matic Ford.

UPDATE: FOUND IT! it's an AS2-10 Borg Warner (Studebaker Power Shift).

The Serial Number Plate on the Left Side, should say that if the Paint is not worn or washed off.

On the OTHER HAND, if this Car has been modified to some kind of 4 Speed GM or "Other" Trans. I can't help.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 09-15-2020, 03:42 PM.
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X