X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jclary
    replied
    Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
    Is the broken stud on the left side and do they know those are left hand thread? Was the stud broken before the car went in the shop? The noise needs to be investigated before driving very far. It is hard to give much advice about a sound without hearing it.
    That's a good point and I was thinking the same thing. One other possibility (I had it happen on my '48 champion) is a failed brake drum flange where cracks had formed at the stud splines and spider-webbed outward from the stud holes. When that happens, the flange of the brake drum will flex and create noise as it rotates. The problem is that the cracks are hard to see when the wheel is removed because the cracks are difficult to see. I found mine by putting a little pressure on the drum trying to check wheel bearing play with the wheel off the car. I suppose you could use magnaflux and expose any cracks, but I happened to notice the cracks in mine without having to do that.

Leave a comment:

• 52-fan
    replied
    Is the broken stud on the left side and do they know those are left hand thread? Was the stud broken before the car went in the shop? The noise needs to be investigated before driving very far. It is hard to give much advice about a sound without hearing it.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    The studs are readily available individually; and a shop other than Chargem & Bleedem should have no trouble doing the job.
    I would have them check the wheel for possible damage; and perhaps the drum.

Leave a comment:

• nvonada
    replied
    I have seen cars driving around with 2 lug nuts missing. I have also seen loose wheels bounding down the highway. I would consider this an urgent but not critical situation. I assume you have a broken stud. The fix is to press out the old stud and press in a new one. This is complicated a bit if you have tapered axles with the brake drums swaged on. Search the forums and you will find a lot of discussion about this.

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• plee4139
    started a topic Wheels / Tires: Broken wheel bolt

Broken wheel bolt

I've just been notified of an issue with my Sky Hawk by my shop, Chargem and Bleedem, that a wheel bolt is broken. I have been hearing a kind of scraping sound from that direction, and I need to know two things: 1: how dangerous is this condition and should I stop driving the car, and 2: what's involved with the repair or replacement? I breathlessly await your sage and Knowledgeable counsel.
Working...
X