Broken wheel bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nvonada View Post

That is really good news. Are you sure about that?
    Yes. They will press out without a lot of effort. Just be sure to support to backside when you press them out so nothing gets warped. I use big deep-well socket.

Comment

Back in the late 1970s I drove out some rear axle stud(s ?) to replace them on a 1967 Barracuda 'on the car", using a big hammer lovingly applied.
      I pulled the new studs in with washers and a nut. As soon as everything was back together, the wheel bearing sang a song. I'm sure I dented/brinneled the bearing. Ever since I only press out studs.

Comment

Can someone detail their setup for pushing the lug studs out? A vise or arbor press would need at least a 4" throat to reach the lug stud of a 1941 Champion...the largest arbor press I can find has a 3.84" throat & a vise with a 4" throat starts at $400+...I tried using an 8" clamp with 4" throat but it kept slipping off of the lug stud or the deep well socket on the other side used for support. This afternoon I also tried using a hydraulic press (440lb/2200kg pressure) I got off of amazon-it stopped dead when it hit that lug stud. I'm definitely open to sending my hub/drum out to a reputable Studebaker mechanic....

Comment

<Yes. They will press out without a lot of effort. Just be sure to support to backside when you press them out so nothing gets warped. I use big deep-well socket. >mbstude

I was able to finally press the broken lug stud out using a 6 ton hydraulic press I purchased off of amazon for about $150 dollars. I used a deep 1-1/2" diameter socket that I kept in place with duct tape so that it wouldn't shift while lining the stud up on the press. I had previously tried to drill the stud out using a lenox 9/16" hole saw but honestly chickened out after cutting about 1/8" deep. Upon examining the drum after pressing the stud out it looks like drilling with the lenox hole saw probably would have worked if I would have stuck with it...thanks for everyone's help!
          Last edited by strad von zarovich; 09-15-2021, 04:04 PM.

Comment

There is a chance that one broke because the rest are loose. And that would make a noise. Before I bought my 56, a previous owner switched all the left side to conventional threads, so that is an option. I've replaced lug bolts several times with just a hammer to get them out and nuts to get them in. My shop of choice is Armand Aleg's Auto Repair.
            Rafe Hollister
            Last edited by Rafe Hollister; 09-16-2021, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X