61 hawk heater switch control and function

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 61 hawk heater switch control and function

Hi fellow members this may seem a basic question but my hawk has a toggle switch that is labeled heater it has three positions in a vertical plane just like the lights and instrument lights switch. My question is does this switch just activate a fan and you open a water tap somewhere to let engine water pass through a heater core?
    Only had my car a few months and still learning. It had air con fitted by previous owner and maybe this switch is redundant now ( nothing happens when I toggle it up and down).
    Also it has electronic power steering fitted to I think the bottom of the steering column My steering wheel seems a little loose ( it can rock sideways slightly) I would like to check how tightly the steering wheel is tightened down so wondering how to remove whatever I need to to access nut and how tightly I should tension it down.
    Thanks in advance
    Snoop

The toggle sw only controls the heater blower motor. There is another lever that opens and shuts the heater control valve located under the hood on the cowl
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

you mean on the dash ?

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
        you mean on the dash ?
        The valve it controls is under the hood. The lever is on the dash.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Snoop, you may want to obtain the glove box Owner's Manual for the basic vehicle operation instructions. It's available from several of our vendors; as well as the Shop Manual and parts catalogs.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I have to wonder what else has been done to the Studebaker Climatizer Heating and Defrosting System hearing of all the "Mods" that this Car has.

Is the Hawk Left Hand Drive? If it is Right Hand, NOTHING is the same as our Cars so we could help.

Normally on a LHD Hawk to get good fresh Air Flow though the Passenger side under floor Heater Core, you must have the Right side under dash Fender Door Lever pushed to "Open", the Temp. Control Lever to "HOT" and the "Heat" Fan Switch ON (Up for High).

The Defroster is that separate Fan Motor and Circular Heat Coil on the Firewall, AGAIN on a LHD Car, most of this does not apply on RHD Cars.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I would just add that when you are at highway speeds you can shut off the blower and forced air from the fender door will be more than adequate to circulate the heat.

Comment

Thanks for input members! Will have a look this weekend and see if I can find water control levers. I have already purchased from Studebaker vendors an original glovebox instruction manual and some other small items and had them delivered to a friend living in the US but her planned return earlier this year with my parts and manual have been delayed due to the travel restrictions. My car is a right hand drive export model one of the few delivered in knock down form and assembled in Melbourne.
                Still unsure how to access Steering wheel lock nut at top of steering column and if I have to remove horn ring ect.
                cheers Snoop

Comment

The horn button pops off with a little prying. Pushs back on too. Steering wheel nut is underneath horn button.

Comment

Use a very Thin Knife Blade or small screwdriver to gently pry the Horn Button off in several places so as to not chip the thin Plastic edge.
                    It is held on by an "O" Ring.
                    StudeRich

Comment

OK, NOW we know, this Car is a RHD Car and is NOTHING like any of ours, so we know NOTHING!

It likely has a "Smith's" Box Heater under the Dash and is nothing like a U.S. Climatizer Fresh Air Heat and Defrost System.
                      StudeRich

Comment

Hello Snoop,
                        I have an Australian delivered '61 Hawk also, my heater setup is a round Smiths heater (as Rich mentions), radiator & fan under the dash, the heater/water valve screwed into the water pump
                        housing is cable operated from a knob on the dash which is also the 2 speed fan switch, I'm flat out with work ATM but can get a photo soon if
                        needed, there are quite a few differences with Australian delivered cars with some of the bolt on components.

regards, Cus
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi Cus
                          Thank you and everyone else for their feedback.
                          Ive looked under dash and there is hardly any room with the air con ducting etc that previous owner had installed. Perhaps the old Smith heater has been removed. A pic would be great when you have a chance. Is your car on the road or a work in progress. Nice to know of another 61 in New South Wales.
                          cheers
                          Snoop

Comment

Working...
                          X