Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

53 Commander rubber trunk bumpers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Body / Glass: 53 Commander rubber trunk bumpers

    Does anyone know where to get the rubber pullthrough bumpers that go in the little pan just below the trunk lid. There are tons of them on the market but can't find the right size. They snap in a 3/8 hole. Most are 1/4.
    Thanks

  • #2
    I assume you are refering to the gravel shield that has several bumpers between it and the bumper. I do not recall them being that large; perhaps someone for some strange reason drilled he holes to fit whatever bumper he had. Just get the bumpers that fit the holes--alls you can do. Restoration Supply ought to have some

    Comment


    • #3
      I think these are the same bumpers used between the inner front fenders and hood, as well as the one bumper in front of the wing vent on the doors.
      274974 Hood Bumper Round: Hood bumper for 1953-64 C-K; 1941-58 Sedans; 1949-64 C-Cab trucks; Rear gravel deflector bumper: 1948-50 Champions & 1949-50 Commanders; 1953-54 C-K cars
      Last edited by rockne10; 09-12-2020, 02:15 PM.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

      Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
        I assume you are refering to the gravel shield that has several bumpers between it and the bumper. I do not recall them being that large; perhaps someone for some strange reason drilled he holes to fit whatever bumper he had. Just get the bumpers that fit the holes--alls you can do. Restoration Supply ought to have some
        That is the problem. I can't seem to find ones that fit. The bumper is1/8 high but the pull through part needs to fit the 3/8 hole. Can't seem to find that size. Most are for 1/4 hole and most are thicker. I have quite a few different ones but none that fit

        Comment


        • #5
          Did you order (5) of 274974 Bumpers from a Studebaker Vendor?

          https://studebakervendors.com
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            I think these are the same bumpers used between the inner front fenders and hood, as well as the one bumper in front of the wing vent on the doors.
            274974 Hood Bumper Round: Hood bumper for 1953-64 C-K; 1941-58 Sedans; 1949-64 C-Cab trucks; Rear gravel deflector bumper: 1948-50 Champions & 1949-50 Commanders; 1953-54 C-K cars
            Thanks for the part number. I ordered some and we will see what happens. A lot of places say they are not available.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              Did you order (5) of 274974 Bumpers from a Studebaker Vendor?

              https://studebakervendors.com
              I just did. Just hope they actually have them.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dave hethrington View Post

                Thanks for the part number. I ordered some and we will see what happens. A lot of places say they are not available.
                Just received some. They are smaller than the ones I found (would work) Also I found some in one of my boxes of stuff. Should be good

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dave hethrington View Post

                  That is the problem. I can't seem to find ones that fit. The bumper is1/8 high but the pull through part needs to fit the 3/8 hole. Can't seem to find that size. Most are for 1/4 hole and most are thicker. I have quite a few different ones but none that fit
                  If they are thicker, that is not a problem. I always used a razor blade to "adjust" the hood bumpers to get the proper fit.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

                  SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Just a curios comment the rear trunk "bumpers" fit up under the rear bumper, they appear to act like spacers to allow water and dirt to escape through the 1/8 - 3/16 space created by the rubber button, I don't think they are a "bumper" just a spacer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by altair View Post
                      Just a curios comment the rear trunk "bumpers" fit up under the rear bumper, they appear to act like spacers to allow water and dirt to escape through the 1/8 - 3/16 space created by the rubber button, I don't think they are a "bumper" just a spacer.

                      That could be

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X