50 Champion OD Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 50 Champion OD Question

I was trouble shooting the overdrive on my 50 Champion noticed the "kickdown switch" doesn't make contact with the throttle lever, and there isn't enough adjustment it the switch to do so. My question is there an adjustment in the linkage or is something probably out of wack

Either something is bent or it's the wrong switch. May we have a picture, please?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

There's a picture there?

Comment

Matt, for some reason your pic is not posting to the forum. There's some odd situation where you can see it on your computer but not the rest of the forum. It happens from time to time.

Regarding your situation...I have just posted to another thread (https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ownshift-issue) regarding another member's overdrive problem. Check this thread out and my post there and let us know if your linkage looks similar. The one in that thread is 1948 champion. Yours may be the same, but I'm not sure.
        Last edited by jclary; 09-10-2020, 04:25 PM.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200909_130211_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	1855648
          maybe it worked this time, please let me know?
          Last edited by Matt N; 09-10-2020, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Is your accelerator pedal fully pressed down in this picture?

Comment

Yes, it worked. It looks like you have the original wiring. The copper conductor of those wires was (in my opinion) top quality wire, but the insulation is not only bad but dangerous. It looks like some of the insulation has flaked off and you are at risk of shorting out or corrosion can build up causing the circuits to not work. There are complete wiring harnesses available for your car. If you don't want to spend the money, have the skill (and a lot of patience), you can build your own.

Regarding the switch and the linkage...truthfully, it does not look all that bad. You might need to check the floor of your car and make sure the pedal has full travel. I have seen floor mats in the way, or you could have some issues with your carburetor linkage. But if you look at the pics I posted in the other thread, your switch does not look all that different.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for your reposes. the throttle isn't depressed in the picture, but it's still a have inch away at full throttle and even if I adjusted the switch. Jclary I'll check the linkage tommorrow

Comment

Working...
                X