upgrade radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: upgrade radio

does anyone have experience with stereo radio in s.i. catalog? review? how about speaker size in 60 hawk front and rear?

I put one in the champ truck fit was good it runs 2 speakers and sounds good to me.

Comment

The old rule of thumb is that 60-70% of the sound quality comes from the size, quality, and installation of the speakers. Use the biggest ones you can fit and the best quality. I have been having good luck with Alpine brand lately.

Sometimes on eBay you can find speaker adapters. I used one to put a bigger speaker in the dash of my 60 Lark.

You can go to a car stereo store, listen to different speakers and pick the ones you like best. Be careful, because the ones that sound the loudest will automatically sound better, so listen to all of them at the same perceived volume level.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

thanks for response guys . 55 coupe . is it a straight forward hook up? knobs secured w/ nuts thru faceplate, with strap support in rear? does it take a usb hook up for thrumb drive? power hook up and ground for wiring?plugs for speakers? is sound quality good? thanks, tom

Comment

I didn't realize I was asking questions of two different people. Sorry.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 09-12-2020, 08:31 AM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Ok my 55 coupe is 12 volt but that radio is a modified stock unit. When I answered your post I was talking about my 1963 champ truck. I got that radio from Studebaker Int. It fit perfectly and sounds good it’s small and light so the knobs hold it in the dash just fine wires were straight forward. I think it has a lead for blue tooth or something else.

Comment

I just bought this radio (USA-230 and the twin horn front speaker ) https://www.classiccarstereos.com/cu...EaAsPtEALw_wcB for my 62 Lark. They both fit like they were factory stock. There are variations with front inputs.
              Warren

Comment

On my Jaguar E-Type I had out a Retrosound head unit in it (looks a lot like the SI radio). Hated it. It just was terrible and caused no end of grief. I ended up pulling it.

For my Studebaker, I had RadioRoy build me one. Should be installed soon.
                1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
                1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
                2003 Ferrari 575 Maranello (3 Pedal)
                2007 Jaguar XK Convertible
                2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

For my Champ I bought the Classic Car Stereo USA-630 and the CD player. Got it because CD player is extremely small and has no controls. It is controlled from the radio. Fit and appearance of radio is fine. However, radio has a very cheap and "toy like" feel. Sound is TERRIBLE!.

Comment

Working...
                  X