Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has to change for starting with 12v?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: What has to change for starting with 12v?

I would like to try and run this engine before I pull it (1954 6 cylinder) but I am going to convert the car to 12v and don't want to buy a 6 volt battery. What is the bare minimum I have to change to try and start it?

I've done conversions before but not just for the engine.

FWIW, the six cylinder will start just fine on 6-volts, even in cold weather.

I've started them on 12-volts just by changing the ignition coil and condenser. Take the generator off-line.

Heck, I've jump-started them on 12-volts just by remembering it is positive ground.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

If you just want to hear it run for a bit, you don't have to hardly do anything. Unhook all of the wires off of the starter and then just put the battery cable back on it. Run a little jumper wire from that post to the coil (the post that doesn't go to the dizzy) when you are ready to try it. Use another little jumper off the small terminal on the solenoid to ground to make it crank. Points will not be loving that 12 volts but they'll be OK for a while. When you are done just pull your jumper off the coil.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
        If you just want to hear it run for a bit, you don't have to hardly do anything. Unhook all of the wires off of the starter and then just put the battery cable back on it. Run a little jumper wire from that post to the coil (the post that doesn't go to the dizzy) when you are ready to try it. Use another little jumper off the small terminal on the solenoid to ground to make it crank. Points will not be loving that 12 volts but they'll be OK for a while. When you are done just pull your jumper off the coil.
        Awesome, thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
        X