GT Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: GT Clutch

62 GT Hawk. I'm wanting to have the clutch and all the other associated parts replaced due to a newly developed chatter when shifting gears in the four speed. What needs to be changed out for the best results? Where is the best place to get the required parts? Many thanks. JT
    ​​​​

I took my Hawk clutch parts to my local rebuilder. They did a really nice job on it. I also needed a ring gear which I got from Studebaker West.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P8290141.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1855239

Comment

Is that for a R1 powered Hawk?
      I see that the Pressure Plate has been rebuilt as a H.D. 12 Spring Unit, not the Standard 10 1/2 Inch. with 9 Spring, 289 4 Speed Unit.

They are ALL brown Springs, so all the same tension. Different than Original with 6 and 3, or 9 and 3 Springs.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Is that for a R1 powered Hawk?
        I see that the Pressure Plate has been rebuilt as a H.D. 12 Spring Unit, not the Standard 10 1/2 Inch. with 9 Spring, 289 4 Speed Unit.

They are ALL brown Springs, so all the same tension. Different than Original with 6 and 3, or 9 and 3 Springs.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P8120142.JPG Views:	0 Size:	135.8 KB ID:	1855290

Before:

Rich, I'm not sure. It's the same one I took out of the car, so in it's lifetime it could have been swapped. The machinist as me if I wanted heavier springs or stock, I told him stock. I didn't want to fight the clutch in traffic.
        Last edited by Topper2011; 09-09-2020, 06:09 AM.

Comment

It is really hard to see the Springs in your Old Build or Old Pressure Plate, but it appears to be a 12 spring capable Cover, with 9 Springs which would be stock.
          So depending on just HOW weak the 12 Brown Springs are, you may have more pressure than before.

I like them to hook up solid and not slip, and fortunately you have the very good leverage, under the floor pedals that keep the Leg pressure down.
          I had the Factory Special Order 12 Inch Pressure Plate rebuilt to 3150 Lbs. in my 1 Ton Transtar 289.

The Springs Borg and Beck originally used in the OEM units they built for Studebaker were all color coded for their tension and the Shop Manual shows their strength in PSI.

What I do not know is if the Rebuilder's still use that same Code.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

That's great information Rich.

Comment

Working...
            X