Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: Wiring Electronic Distributor

Hello, At the moment I have a temporary wiring system to run my '61 Hawk,
    I'm replacing the dash soon & have all the original wiring hooked up to the guages etc.
    I'm aware that I don't install any resistor wiring, I would like to replace the main ignition wire, from the ignition to the + on the coil wit a 12 gauge wire,
    is there any other wiring to replace on the - side or to the starter motor?

*Forgot to add, I have an Electronic Distributor & coil upgrade fitted

regards, Cus
    Last edited by Cus63; 09-07-2020, 09:39 PM.
    sigpic

The Ign. Switch "Ign." Wire to the Coil was 18 Ga. if you wanted a better wire you could run a 16 Ga. but Never a 12 Ga.

Heavy wire like 8, 10 or 12 is reserved for Main Power from the Batt. Post on the Solenoid to the Ammeter and Ammeter to Ignition Switch, Generator to Voltage Regulator etc.

The ONLY wire to the Starter is the 6 Ga. Battery Type Cable from the output side of the Solenoid.
    The Negative Coil wire goes to the Distributor or where ever the Electronic Ignition System Wiring Diagram shows it going.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Agree with Rich, 18ga is all you need.

So as you may know, the pink wire is the resistor wire in the harness.
      On the "R" cars the pink wire was replaced with a white wire when they used the external resistors on the performance engines.
      You can use any color, just an FYI moment..

The starter solenoid did have a wire going from one of the small post to the coils as well.. While the engine was being started, the coil would get 12v from this post.

If you are using an external resistor on your setup, you need to keep this connected as well.

Comment

I agree, 12ga is overkill. When I wire a car, I use 16 GA for everything but the alternator to battery wire. 16 ga will handle the current of any other circuit in a 12 volt car very easily, and its easier for me to keep many rolls of a single gauge wire than to have several different gauges.
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X