No announcement yet.

New Member with 1951 Studebaker Champion 2 Door Coupe Sticking Ignition Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: New Member with 1951 Studebaker Champion 2 Door Coupe Sticking Ignition Issues

Hello; I bought my first Studebaker 2 weeks ago and am still getting used to it. I grew up around vintage mopars that my dad owned, so I'm not a complete newby. This car has undergone alot of restoration and new parts. The ignition is a repop, probably made in China (not that that's bad) and the key is pretty small. A few times while turning the key, it either sticks or doesn't turn back to position. I am hesitant to spray a lubricant in there because it's electrical. Should I try to find an original from Ebay or tinker with this one? The car is still a 6 volt, but does have an electric fuel pump. Any owners in the know your wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks.

PB Blaster, and probably other penetrants, won't harm or create any shorts in the switch. Electronic cleaners like Deoxit D5 as well.
    And before you resort to Ebay for your parts, you should know Studebakers have one of the largest networks of full and part time parts suppliers.

In the original Hurd ignitions the keys were pretty small.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Here's where to look for Studebaker parts.

http://www.studebakervendors.com/
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
      X