“LARK” script 1962

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: “LARK” script 1962

This may sound like an odd question, but did the “LARK” script get deleted in late ‘62 builds? My Deluxe sedan doesn’t have the front fender script, it was built 6/15/62. I don’t see mounting holes, either.

I am quite sure they all had them when New, it usually indicates replacement Fenders without holes.
    But I guess someone COULD have been so intent on removing them, as to remove them and fill the holes, but there should be weld on the backside.

Interesting related Story I have told before:

The Dealer that my Dad worked for; Frank H. Afton, insisted that Cruisers should NOT be Larks, so he did have the holes filled and spot/blend/repainted as many of the new '62 Cruisers as he could before they sold.

And being a respected, long time, large Volume Dealer and Member of the "Dealer Council" he convinced Management to remove all "Lark" Names from the '63 Cruiser.

On 1964 Models, Frank was influential in the removal of ALL indication of the Lark Name from ALL Models except the lowest level Challenger. So the Larks became just: "Studebaker (insert Model/Trim Name)".

He was always a big Fan of the 'Y" Body Sedans, and always drove various Demos ordered for him, usually a Black one.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You are the picture of a proud Studebaker owner.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I think those little block "L-A-R-K" letters are the only remnants I have of my first Lark that met its fate in 1975.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

StudeRich,

Now that I think of it, the front fenders had been replaced, due to rust, in the 70s.

Interesting history about that dealer having that much influence!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post

You are the picture of a proud Studebaker owner.
            Thank you so much!

Comment

Working...
            X