Casting numbers 170ci

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Casting numbers 170ci

Can anyone decipher my 1959 170ci casting numbers and punch numbers for me?

I’m awaiting the production certificate, but can attest from the original glove box manual that it was sold to the owner on May 22, 1959 and is still numbers-matching.

The head has “2 12 N” and the block has “2 28 N”.

What does the “10” mean above the engine cast #? And the “K” on the generator mounting boss?

Those curious “keystone” punches on the upper front of the block next to the water pump cavity - one has a “73” in it, for example. Were these inspector punches?

Keystone stamps were used on replacement blocks. The number ?, could have been the year it was put in..
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post
      Can anyone decipher my 1959 170ci casting numbers and punch numbers for me?

The head has “2 12 N” and the block has “2 28 N”.
      The "2 12 N" and "2 28 N" are the casting date codes of those castings: The month, day and year the casting was cast. In your case they decipher to Feb. 2, 1959 and Feb. 28, 1959. N is the year code for 1959. There are also a "clock" and a "Day - Night" cast in, which I presume give the time of day and shift.

--Dwight
      Last edited by Dwight FitzSimons; 09-07-2020, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Dwight,

Not trying to nitpick, but your fingers are faster then the eye on the first decipher. Do you have the complete decipher table for the year letters?

Bo
        Bo

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
          Dwight,

Not trying to nitpick, but your fingers are faster than the eye on the first decipher. Do you have the complete decipher table for the year letters?

Bo
          Hi, Bo,
          Sure do. If this isn't readable on your end let me know.
          --Dwight

YEAR CODE vs. YEAR—1921—1946
          21 22 23 24 ? F G H I J K L M
          ‘21 ‘22 ‘23 ‘24 ‘25 ‘26 ‘27 ‘28 ‘29 ‘30 ‘31 ‘32 ‘33
          N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
          ‘34 ‘35 ‘36 ‘37 ‘38 ‘39 ‘40 ‘41 ‘42 ‘43 ‘44 ‘45 ‘46
          YEAR CODE vs. YEAR—1947—1964
          A B C D E F G H J K L M N O P R S T
          ‘47 ‘48 ‘49 ‘50 ‘51 ‘52 ‘53 ‘54 ‘55 ‘56 ‘57 ‘58 ‘59 ‘60 ‘61 ‘62 ‘63 ‘64

Comment

It is believed the number where your '10' is represents the foundry mold used to cast that block. The keystone mark appears on original engines as well as replacements. Usage of the keystone is not consistent, and yes, it is generally believed the number inside the keystone identifies a certain inspector. No idea what the K means. I looked at a block that has a scratch mark in that location, It sorta looks like the back of your K.
            So.....if I'm 'pre-approved' why do you want me to fill out an application?

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
              It is believed the number where your '10' is represents the foundry mold used to cast that block. The keystone mark appears on original engines as well as replacements. Usage of the keystone is not consistent, and yes, it is generally believed the number inside the keystone identifies a certain inspector. No idea what the K means. I looked at a block that has a scratch mark in that location, It sorta looks like the back of your K.
              Thanks Dwain and thanks all.

Always fun to see the marks and envision the history of how our Studebakers were made. The YouTube videos that have great foundry and line sequences from the day are amazing to see.

In March 1959 (when my head and block were cast), my folks were 6 months from getting married. Right in the heart of a US-Canada recession.

Comment

Originally posted by NCDave51 View Post

In March 1959 (when my head and block were cast), my folks were 6 months from getting married. Right in the heart of a US-Canada recession.
                February 1959, not March.
                --Dwight

Comment

Working...
                X