63 avanti electric fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: 63 avanti electric fan

Well I've thrown in the towel on trying to find a quieter alternative to the stock 5 blade fan on my 63 Avanti and decided to go with an electric fan.
    Surely someone has actually put an electric fan on a 63-64 Avanti, if so, what brand (part #?) did you use and did it perform satisfactorily. Only interested in experiences with 63-64 Avanti's due to their close fit between the front hub and radiator. Thanks.

Then I won't waste your time with the one I put on my 74 Avanti in tight quarters.

Bob

Comment

That’s awesome!
      Mike
      Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
        Then I won't waste your time with the one I put on my 74 Avanti in tight quarters.

Bob
        I would love to hear about your install in the 74. I was just thinking that since the SBC engine in later Avanti's is about 1 1/2" shorter than the Stude 289 that it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison. On the Studey the clearance between the lower hub and radiator is a little less than 3".
        Larry

Comment

If a stock mechanical fan is too noisy for you, I wouldn't recomend an electric fan at all. Electric fans tend to be fairly noisy. At least any I've had have been much noisier than a stock mechanical fan, Maybe go to a clutch fan, or perhaps a flex fan , it depends on when it is noisy.

The stock 5 blade mech fan on my GT didn't make any noise. At least until it got bent from hitting the shroud when an engine mount broke.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post

Bob
            Excellent Bob!!:-)

Comment

Originally posted by delavant View Post

I would love to hear about your install in the 74. I was just thinking that since the SBC engine in later Avanti's is about 1 1/2" shorter than the Stude 289 that it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison. On the Studey the clearance between the lower hub and radiator is a little less than 3".
              Larry
              Here's the install. Fan depth depends on where the fan hub lies relative to the lower pulley as there is some wiggle room. There's always a pusher but I'm not fond of them.

This fan works for me but if it's too long you can use the specs to look at others.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....fan-and-shroud

If it looks like it will fit, I'll fire it up to give you a sense of noise. May be hard to hear over the engine though. Actually I can turn it on without the engine running.

Bob
              Last edited by sweetolbob; 09-07-2020, 05:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks sweetolbob, I'll use the info you provided to help with my decision.
                Delevant

Comment

Working...
                X