Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Wagonaire rear quarter window gaskets - What to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Wagonaire rear quarter window gaskets - What to use?

I just bought a 64 Wagonaire and plan to repaint the car. Since they aren’t readily available, what are other wagon owners using for the rear quarter window gaskets? Thanks

Hey Matt...if you have the old seal, use it to compare it to similar applications of that era, most Chevy, Ford and Chrysler. These used glass of the same approximate thickness and were fit into a similar pinch weld opening.
    I had done this search when restoring my Wagonaire and found a couple of good candidates but was then lucky enough to find a pair of NOS ones to use.
    I'll look to see if I made any notes on them.
    Bill Foy
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Thanks Bill, I appreciate that.

Of course, we had a pair of NOS ones that I sold a year or two ago. Isn’t that the way it goes?

Comment

I know you enjoy a challenge and I'm confident you will deal with this one. But...just a thought...don't limit your search to purely automotive applications. Look at sources from other harsh environments and weather exposure applications like Marine application suppliers and high traffic exposure like door threshold seals. At one time, I had a catalog for Steele Rubber products, and it was the first that came to my mind.

https://www.steelerubber.com/

I think they show product profiles and that could be of help in finding one that will work. I don't know what their policy is regarding quantities or prices. Regardless...good luck with your newest project and keep us updated on your progress.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Matt
          Welcome to the '64 wagon club! As far as the rear seals I pulled mine from a rot bucket parts car. Years ago I bought the roof gaskets from Restoration Supplies in Windber, PA. They also had windlace that was a near match. Post some pics of your new ride. As you have probably seen Patrick has posted a number of pics of my '64 Laguna Blue SR wagon.Good luck with your project. I can email any pics of mine if you need any references.
          Rob in PA.

Comment

Hey Rob, good to hear from you. It was sold new in Colorado and spent some time in Illinois, and has been in Texas for the last decade being used as a reliable daily driver. The seller is a friend and member of this forum.

289, FOM, 3.73 Twin Trac (I’ll change to 3.31), power steering, and a few other neat options. I’ll add a brake booster and I have an AC setup from a ‘64 Hawk for it.

Solid with the exception of rust in the bottoms of all 4 doors and the tailgate, but a couple of friends are hooking me up with solid used panels to replace those.

Tentative plan is to pull the car apart and redo it in Astra White with a red interior. I thought about driving it “as is” for a while, but it deserves to be freshened up.

Should have the car here in the next couple of weeks. I’m pretty excited about it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0B9E7BD5-7970-4546-BDB5-E14772E9BF4B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	1854677

Click image for larger version  Name:	CB9F1D43-7B24-42B2-9C4B-2B208D974047.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	60.4 KB ID:	1854678
            Last edited by mbstude; 09-06-2020, 04:34 PM.

Comment

I haven't seen your Wagonaire in person, but based on those pictures, I would drive it basically as-is for awhile before deciding to pull it apart for major exterior and interior changes. I agree with the differential ratio change.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Matt, is Champagne the color of your Wagonaire? Champagne goes well with red.... I'm told that Champagne also goes well with cheese and crackers. Food for thought.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Champaign Gold was a ‘63 color, ‘64 was Golden Sand.

So... Does anyone have a source for the quarter window seals?

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    I just bought a 64 Wagonaire and plan to repaint the car. Since they aren’t readily available, what are other wagon owners using for the rear quarter window gaskets? Thanks
                    I believe I have a NOS set, let me check.
                    Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC
                    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post

I believe I have a NOS set, let me check.
                      That would be ideal! Part numbers 1353392 and 393.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

That would be ideal! Part numbers 1353392 and 393.
                        Matt, I'm sorry, but when I checked my inventory, I found that the seals I have are for an earlier station wagon. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

No worries Paul, thank you for checking.

Comment

On the bright side, when Matt finds a suitable replacement, then Stephen Allen's can keep replacements in stock for the rest of us. Thanks Matt!
                            sigpic
                            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Wagonaires can be used for more than just hauling refrigerators, giraffes and Studebaker parts.
                              Here's stude1964's Laguna Blue Wagonaire on the Monster Mile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dover3.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1854787
                              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10,
                              '51 Commander Starlight,
                              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                              X