Studebaker Avanti wing window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Studebaker Avanti wing window

I am fine tuning, greasing adjusting and cleaning my 1964 Studebaker Avanti inside and out. The drivers side wing window won’t open more than approximately an inch. I read through my Avanti service manual and it shows that the door glass has to be removed and then the wing vent and channel, in order to adjust the tension at the bottom of the wing vent. One of the many long time Avanti owners here at SDC has to have found an easier way to loosen the vent without major tear down. Has anyone got a legitimate simpler way to fix this? Thanks all! Click image for larger version  Name:	9DA99D33-6828-45BD-8500-FA19F88FEE69.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	1854544
    1963 Studebaker GT Hawk R1 63V-33867
    1964 Studebaker Avanti R1 R-5364
    1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
    1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Have you tried removing the door panel and lubricating the moving parts?
    You might also try posting your question on the AOAI Forum.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The lower vent window pivot is a nylon bearing (bushing) inside of a steel clamp. Typically the nylon breaks and jams against itself and that’s why the vent window doesn’t open.

Comment

I was afraid I would hear something like that! I guess it’s off to locate the nylon bushing and tear into it. Thank you for your responses guys!
        1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
        1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

I appreciate the responses. I posted on AOAI and had a few council me to use 100% Silicone spray and work it back and forth. That did the trick, window works like new!
          1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
          1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

Sounds like the bearing was just seized up. You got lucky!

Comment

With only 50K miles and equipped with A/C, I couldn’t imagine it being worn out. I guess I did luck out!
              1970 Avanti II RQA-0385
              1981 Avanti II RQB-3304

Comment

That sounds just like the same mechanism thats in my GT Hawk. I lubricated it once to stop it from jamming, after that it lost so much friction that it won't stay open when driving, the wind stream keeps blowing it shut. When I checked inside the door it appeared that it may have been originally lubricated with white grease.
                Roger W. List
                Proud Studebaker Owner

Comment

Roger, that clamp/bushing is the same part used on most postwar convertibles, all hardtops, and Avantis. You might be able to tighten the clamp on yours and get it to stay open.

Comment

Working...
                  X