No announcement yet.

39 side by side transmission from CE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: 39 side by side transmission from CE?

I have one which appears to be in decent condition but we cannot figure out how to get the shifter out so we can see all the parts. Can someone reference a picture of how the shifter is retained? We suspect there is a ball on the lever and it is captive by the top of the tranny.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

So maybe a "Side by Side" Trans. is a Top Shifter Floor Shift?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Well the transmission has its main gear shafts lying side by side instead of above and under each other. It does have a shifter coming out the top.

Comment

That is a T88 transmission used by Studebaker and Graham in 1938
        It is laying on its side to lower the transmission hump.
        The design had its lubrication problems and unless you kept the transmission oil topped of,
        the main shaft and bushing would fail.Studebaker discontinued using this transmission in early
        1939. Main shafts for these are not available and transmission shops machine the front of the main shaft down and either use a sleeve or make a special bushing with a smaller ID.
        Most parts are common t the T86 of that period.

Comment

Do you happen to know how the shifter is retained?

Comment

No
            I have never had one apart

Comment

anybody have a book on these?

Comment

The '39 manual only says to unscrew the shifter cap (at the base of the shifter) and lift shift lever off. I don't know how much of a view inside that will give you though. May need to remove the side cover too.
                "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Thanks very much! We thought it might un-screw. Without removing the shifter we were unable to see all the way into the trans....as it prevented removing the shift forks which would allow us to see deeper into the trans.
                  Last edited by t walgamuth; 09-09-2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

I have a 1938 shop manual and it says the same thing.Put a strap wrench on the shifter cap and unscrew it. If you want a shop manual , I have a like mint copy for $50.00 including shipping.
                    Robert Kapteyn
                    studebaker@mac.com

Comment

is that for the manual on the whole car or just the transmission?

Comment

Working...
                      X