No announcement yet.

I'm confuse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great info all! I guess I have my work cut out for me?

Comment

Have you used a good multimeter on the battery to see what polarity it is? No, you don’t have to change terminals on the starter.

Comment

So I swapped the battery and it still starts and runs. The ameter needle motarily move but then stop as I cranked it up. There's no voltage change on the battery when rev the motor so I'm assuming the regulator has bit the dust. These regulators aren't cheap from what been able to find either!
        Last edited by Matt N; 09-10-2020, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt N View Post
          So I swappec the battery and it still starts and runs. The ameter needle motarily move but then stop as I cranked it up. There's no voltage change on the battery when rev the motor so I'm assuming the regulator has bit the dust. These regulators aren't cheap from what been able to find either!
          Did you polarize the regulator after changing the battery's polarity?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Matt N View Post
            So I swappec the battery and it still starts and runs. The ameter needle motarily move but then stop as I cranked it up. There's no voltage change on the battery when rev the motor so I'm assuming the regulator has bit the dust. These regulators aren't cheap from what been able to find either!
            If the generator was polarized backwards, it will now not charge until you polarize it, aka "flashing the field".
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Sorry for the late reply, yes I did. I think the regulator is bad I've ordered another one, and when it gets here l'll go from there.

Comment

Here is a segment of an old manual that covers troubleshooting the regulator. It is a very good idea to do the troubleshooting steps in order before swapping parts.
                https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvLlGFr3VITKlCGe..._rnRr?e=5CzJEd

Nathan

Comment

Thanks for the link Nathan, I have a service mannual and I did test the regulator

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post

With all the stuff "broken", I am wondering if maybe somebody put in a 12 volt battery, and fried the dash lights, gauges, and other accessories? Then realized their mistake, and installed the six-volt battery. Backwards, because of course the 12 volt battery was installed negative ground.
                    That was my first thought also.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post

That was my first thought also.
                      No telling what was done in the last 70 years, I have very little history on this car, no telling what I'm going to find?

Comment

Years ago, I fixed a 37 Nash radio for a friend. Every tube in the set had a burned out heater. Very unusual for any one tube to have a burned out heater, but all of them? Well, you know what happened. Some folks just don't grok basic electricity.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Changed the regulator and now it charges and the amp gauge works! The other gauge still don't but I'm making progress!

Thanks for the help all

Comment

Working...
                          X