No announcement yet.

Gauges Stay On When Key is Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disconnect all the wires from the switch and check continuity with a multimeter. If there is not continuity with the switch off but you do have continuity with the switch on it can't be the switch and something is funky in the wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Since I just helped a Forum Member fix his Stude. that would not shut down, and I suggested the Solenoid had internally shorted Power to the "I" Ignition terminal, and it did turn out to be the Solenoid, I have been trying to think how that could cause your problem.

If that were the case though, with power back-feeding from the Solenoid, through the Coil terminal and back to the Ign, Sw. and to Accessories, Gauges, Turn Signals, Heater Fan etc. I can't figure a scenario where you are able to Start and Stop yours.

Are you SURE no wires were moved, or otherwise "messed with" between when it worked fine and Now?
      Thanks for your thoughts here. No, there were no wires moved or disturbed by human hands from the last time I drove the car until I got in it to drive it two days later. That's when I discovered the battery was dead. My guess now is that the hot wire coming in from the starter solenoid to the ignition switch must be making contact with the wire feeding the accessory port, thus making all connections hot. But that's just a guess. It is indeed a huge mystery.

Comment

Originally posted by nvonada View Post
        Disconnect all the wires from the switch and check continuity with a multimeter. If there is not continuity with the switch off but you do have continuity with the switch on it can't be the switch and something is funky in the wiring.
        Thank you, I will do just that.

Comment

Disconnect the feed to the starter solenoid and see if that opens the unwanted circuit.

Comment

The most obvious answer is that the acc circuit is wired to the batt terminal either directly by error or by worn insulation on acc wire touching the batt lug . Barring that most likely scenario, replace the switch--look for a good used one one (thee repos are nothing to write home to mother about.)

Comment

Working...
            X