Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by ma1951

Matthew,
    I am the one you are referring to with the toggle switch. You just have to run a wire to the solenoid from toggle switch and you got it. All of the other overdrive components are just to control when the solenoid comes in and out.
    Thanks for responding Mike, I was hoping you would. I remembered you having a switch on the '51, but had no clue as to how it was wired up.

If we do end up putting an OD trans in the car, what wires will I need to hook up, other than a wire from the switch to the solenoid? I would think a hot wire would need to be ran somewhere...

I don't want all the other 'components' that are needed to make the OD normally operate, just a simple flick of a switch to engage the OD whenever I need it.

I only intend to use the OD if I go out of town, which rarely happens. But if I do need to, it'd be nice to have the option of overdrive.

If nobody knows how to "Redneck Engineer" an overdrive, I'll just stick in another standard 3 speed and forget about it. [)]

Matthew Burnette
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Matthew,

I can not remember where I got my hot wire from, because I don't know if you remember, but I had to re-wire that car completely. But all you do is find a source for the hot wire, properly fuse the line for a 12 volt solenoid, run hot wire to toggle switch, then from toggle switch down to solenoid on transmission. That should get it.

Comment

What is not clear and was mentioned by Bob Palma that you grind up the overdrive unit (kaput , hundred of dollars worth of parts ruined)
        if you go in reverse with the overdrive engaged.
        Some of the older transmissions had a rail lockout switch that opened the circuit when you went into reverse.
        Make sure this switch is wired in if you use a manual switch.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, you especially Mike. Hope to see you around soon, too!

We didn't get around to swappin' trannies this weekend, maybe sometime soon though..

Thanks again everyone. [8D]

Matthew Burnette
          Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Online O/D manual for anyone interested.

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/Borg-Warner%20Overdrive/index.htm

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar Deluxe
            Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
            May 23 & 24, 2009?
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

My GT Hawk has run for years with a Ford T-85, a floor shifter, and a toggle switch mounted on the front of the center console. I love it.

With a 3.73 diff., in town with frequent stop signs I can stay in first gear and then flip the toggle and let off the gas for first overdrive. You also get to go from OD to direct drive without having to floor the accelerator. Only trick is to remember to be out of overdrive before trying to engage Reverse.

Comment

Working...
              X