Transmission Leaking When Parked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Transmission Leaking When Parked

I know it's common after sitting for the Flight O Matic to leak out the tail seal. Mine started leaking now almost everyday even if driven daily. Could it be as simple as the tail seal? The fluid is coming up low after I warm it up. I'm hoping the Torque Converter isn't somehow dumping fluid as soon as I shut the car off. Any ideas? I'm going to change the tail seal I guess as that's the easiest to get to. Thanks..... Jim

I do believe that when the Case Bushing is excessively worn (often missed in a rebuild) it can allow excess Fluid to return usually overfilling the Pan and causing the Unsealed Pan Gasket to leak, as rebuilder's never seal the Gasket.

You SHOULD be checking and filling it warm, running, in Drive and to the "Full" mark with either the preferred Ford Type "F" Fluid or the Dexron/Mercon II or whatever; III, IV, V.
    So it NEVER could change level in seconds, minutes or hours, only Weeks.
    Driving it more often will keep the Converter full and reduce leaks.

If you have not replaced your Tail Seal recently and checked for Tail Housing Bushing or Yoke wear, that is your problem.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You might want to check the case vent, also a cold check will reveal if trans is overfull. that usually means a torque converter has leaked down and overfilled the case. if you have a worn front pump seal and bushing you may need a new converter snout to seal everything back up. hope it's just the vent plugged! Luck Doofus

Comment

I solved most of my Trans weeping issues by only filling the trans to just above half way between the add and full mark on the dip stick when warm , Ed

Comment

You might want to check the case vent Where is that??

Comment

On the Top of the Case, about the only way you could vent it without leaking Oil.
            It is a "pop-it Valve" like used on other makes on the Differential that possibly Could get clogged with dirt etc.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I found the vent..thanks. I think it's good. Here's the twist..... drove it yesterday, checked it hot it was full. Parked it. This morning with the engine OFF, car in park and cold the fluid level is over full by about 3/4 inch. Started it, let it get hot, checked it in D after going through R, L and the level shows full on dip stick. So my question is this normal for the level to be slightly higher OFF, cold and after sitting? I noted Stude Rich said level should not change but I'm not clear if he meant sitting cold and engine off...The trans was rebuilt about 5 years ago and has 5,000 miles on it, the Torque Converter was replaced. Car has been great up to this situation. Engages instantly when put in gear in morning. Leak is about 5 teaspoons overnight. Tail seal, or worse????
              Last edited by jg61hawk; 08-22-2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Yes the Torque Converter will drain down "some" over night, some with more wear sooner than others.
                But seriously pouring all over the floor probably means a Tail Seal if it isn't coming from the Pan.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Now we CASO's slide cardboard under the hot tranny and let it cool. you will see where the leak is. dont forget the selecter shaft seal! get under and look for tell tale signs of leaking. Luck Doofus

Comment

I have a big drip pan under the car. It's coming from the tail (where drive shaft goes into). Is that a big job to change the seal....is it right at the end or do I have big problem? Thanks for the continued help on this. Jim

Comment

Here is a Post about the Auto. Trans. Tail Seal, hopefully yours will not be as bad as Bob Johnstone's Car that needed the tail Bushing as well as a Seal.
                      A worn Bushing can cause Seals to fail just like the damaged Yoke they mention.

It should not be a Big Job to change the Seal only, I would try that and carefully check all Parts involved.

Also this post mentions a "Powershift" Trans. , the Standard Flight-O-Matic has the same Tail Housing and Seal, so no problem there.

Be sure to read all the good info there, especially Post #4 and #6.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....m-tail-housing
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X