1955 185 CID Oil pans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1955 185 CID Oil pans.

Does anybody make or did Studebaker ever make a mid-sump oil pan for a 185 cid 6 cylinder engine. I have a 55 Champion 185 engine I’m considering putting into my 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe, but my 50 has a mid sump oil pan to clear the crossmember in front and the steering linkage that runs in front of the flywheel area. I’m trying to avoid having to make such drastic modifications to fabricate one.

Yes. Studebaker did make a special oil pan for putting a 185 into a 50 Champion. Someone else may chime in with the part number. It might not be cheap if you find one.

The other option is to take the 50 oil pan and the oil pan from the 185 and make one out of the two.

Have you got the dipstick modifications planned out?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

When the 185 went into production, the old 170 was dropped. So Stude had to make some special parts for service replacement engines.
      Like Roy said, these special parts might be a bit rare. Start with SI and see what's available. Click on page to enlarge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	185eng.1.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	1851718Click image for larger version

Name:	185eng.2.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1851719
      "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

I have the same conversion. Years back I bought the correct oil pan from Barry Hackney at Studebaker Ranch in Texas

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Barry hasn’t seen one of those in years. I’m in the process of having a new sump added to mine, forward of its original position , ny a local race engine builder that specializes in oil pans.

Comment

I have a 185 ci new oilpan for installation in 1951 and later, but it is not the camelback for retrofitting the 1950 Champion. $100 + shipping.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I ended up having a company that specializes in fabricating oil pans for race cars modify mine. It wasn’t cheap but they did a great job

Comment

Looks like they did a nice job.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                X