Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody got clearance issues with Turner Brake conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Anybody got clearance issues with Turner Brake conversion?

Hi, all: I just had my front brakes converted to Turner Disc (it's a '59 Silver Hawk). Have driven about an hour and a quarter since. I've just found that an abrupt pavement rise, such as a speed bump but even a bump-up on an urban street, produces troublesome contact sound on passenger side. It's loud and you can't miss it. No problem whatsoever on pavement dips, ONLY WITH A RISE. No problem with the turning radius. What could this be? I am running 15" Chrysler wheels with a 5 bolt pattern. No issues like this in the 3500 miles before the conversion was done. Driving Studes should not be a contact sport! Any ideas? Thanx.

Can you look underneath and see any shiny spots that used to be dirty?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Sounds odd, being that the caliper and rotor are fully enclosed within the wheel (and tire).
      Unless, something is loose ?!

Mike

Comment

I had to do a little grinding on the brackets (on both sides) of my Turner brakes when I installed them. (Car: 1964 Hawk, original drum brakes.) It has been several years since I installed them, so I can't remember exactly where I had to grind, but it was obvious when I installed them. If this might help I can run downstairs and photograph the brake (wheel is off, anyway).
        --Dwight

Comment

I would be pulling that right front wheel and looking closely at things like tie rod ends and upper outer control arm trunnion. as Roy said look for that shiny spot! Luck Doofus

Comment

Got a kit; didn't use it as it would have required too much butchery and couldn't see how I'd check fluid with bail type lid on res. Anyone want one? Good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
              Got a kit; didn't use it as it would have required too much butchery and couldn't see how I'd check fluid with bail type lid on res. Anyone want one? Good deal.
              Probably worth posting the application, and probably m/c and caliper #'s, although it sounds like it's for the under-floor master cylinder. Easy way to check brake fluid is a remote reservoir setup for whomever buy's it. Too bad you couldn't use it, they've worked well on my Avanti's.

Bob

Comment

It's easy to understand WHY a Dual Master Cylinder conversion would work well on an Avanti!

It is Apples to Oranges to a under the floor Hawk M/C. That one, is one complicated, difficult to install and service mess.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 08-20-2020, 11:27 AM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Did you call Jim Turner?
                  He won't bite....
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    It's easy to understand WHY a Dual Master Cylinder conversion would work well on an Avanti!

It is Apples to Oranges to a under the floor Hawk M/C. That one, is one complicated, difficult to install and service mess.
                    I understand the differences as I alluded to in my comments including suggesting the remote reservoir. My point with the Avanti was that a properly installed Turner system works well and provides a dual m/c system that Studebaker didn't.

Complicated and difficult to some not so much to others. Hopefully someone will be able to use this and make a safer driving (stopping) Studebaker.

Bob

Comment

Great idea on Avanti or late Lark with firewall accessible MC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                        If the dual reservoir master cylinder is under the floor, it's extremely easy to cut the access hole in the floor to an appropriate oval and make a new sheet metal cover.

Comment

To the original poster and subject: Take a look at the heater duct inside the right front wheel well. You may need to tie it up higher. My Hawk use to make noise on hard right turns or hitting just the right bump; that's what it turned out to be. The tire was contacting the duct.

Comment

Thanks, bensherb...I like your theory. "What's in the way" (the heater duct) would be "just in the right place!" Will check this out... Jeremy in Lompoc

Comment

Jeffrey..I sent you a PM...Joel

Comment

Working...
                              X