No announcement yet.

replacement coils for 1928 President ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: replacement coils for 1928 President ?

Hi, the coils on my dad's (well, mine but been up at the farm for 40 years, and still all original) '28 President FB eight cylinder are shot. Replacement would be simple, but these are firewall mounted, with special bezels that appear (have not tried to remove yet) to be tack welded or crimped on. The coils are narrow diameter (2 1/8" at crimped end, maybe 2 1/16" barrel?) and not sure how to replace and re-mount. I found a coil on Amazon that is 2" diameter, for old Ford tractors. Could see getting someone with a lathe to make an adaptor sleeve from 2" to the barrel diameter). But thought worth asking here if anyone has found a simple replacement for this. I don't have a mill or lathe to make new bezels. This will be a 'survivor' if I even am able to keep it (dad is 94 and still on the farm, but once that storage space is gone, with the other cars :-( ......) Ideas? Thanks!

Oh, embarassed to ask, but I don't have the owner's manual here (is with the car) or could figure it out from circuit diagram, but these original coils are labeled "Timer" and "Battery". Which is "+" and "-" ?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Coils.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1851112Click image for larger version

Name:	coil.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1851110Click image for larger version

Name:	coil-back view.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1851111
    Attached Files

Assuming your car got negative ground, + goes to the battery terminal, - goes to the timer terminal via the dist. Of course, if the ground is positive, it is the contrary.
    Best of luck with your nice car.
    sigpic

Comment

These folks can rebuild your original coils.
      No harm in checking with them. They've done a couple jobs for me.

www.mykmlifestyle.com
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks! Never even occurred to me; I guess there is someone out there rebuilding just about anything if you look. I wrote to them to ask for a quote. Will post and let everyone know what it costs; they appear to do a LOT of things, definitely a good resource, especially for the pre-war cars!

Comment

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
          Thanks! Never even occurred to me;... I wrote to them to ask for a quote.
          You're talking about 90+ year old items. I suspect you'll be looking at more than $150 a piece.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
          X